unbelievable cpu cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was already stated. if the oil ever got hotter than the room itself, all the air around the fish tank would cool it off.
You could make Mineral Oil ice cubes ;) NOW THAT is an awesome idea :)

And yah, just put the HDD Out of the mineral oil..voila, problem solved.

on the HDD question. would you put your drive in water? no, because water would get into it. it's not strictly airtight.
water molecules are quite small. They're one of the 3 simplest molecules in the universe (the others being H2 and O2)
Anyway, you wouldn't put the PC in water either.

You could, however, put it in non-conductive oil. which is what they did here.
Not only is the oil they used non-conductive, but the oil molecules generally are much larger than water molecules.
So while water may be able to enter filters used by hard drives, I highly doubt that oil could.

Though I would expect that some hard drives do not even use a fine filter, but rather, a flexible material that will flex in and out depending on the pressure difference, to balance it out somewhat.
that's one of my questions : how long will it last before the oil reaches ambient temps and is basically useless?
The oil would still be far from useless even if it were at a higher temperature than air.
It has a much larger heat capacity than air does, and will much more readily absorb heat than air would.

just got ahold of a few test bed computers to try it on, just waiting for them to get shipped. I'll run 2 or 3 comps, running one static, one current, and one on veggy oil, as has been posted that it'll work too. I'll get all this sorted out. also, why not route a loop past an AC or something? i have ideas teaming through this overworked brain of mine lol

Let us know please! I want a PC like this only so I can call the Geek Squad to help me install a video card LOL.

It would be interesting to see how Geek Squad would react to seeing a Mineral Oil PC walk into their shop...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom