CPU Temperature Question

Captain Xarzu

Solid State Member
I am in the process of gathering my system informatioin and one of the tools to do this showed my CPU temperature at 98C. I immediately powered off fot the night but in the morning, during start up, it was still over 90 degrees C. It has since gone down. So I am thinking that it just gets hot during powerup and if it is run a long time. I wonder what your ideas are and what I need to do to cool it down. I an thinking also that I need to dust the mother board more often.

@Captain Xarzu
As long as it is not known what computer you are using, what processor is in use, when was the last time you cleaned the inside of the computer and how did you do it, what processes are running at the moment, when you collect a temperature samples, etc., you cannot guess or say anything.
It is also important to know that all software is up to date, especially that S.M.A.R.T is working correctly.
If it's an older computer, it's a bit much, but if it's a modern CPU based on 10-14nm technology, it's not much or suspicious at all.

What CPU is it and what is your cooler?
How long has it been since it's been cleaned or had fresh paste?
Here are the specs as attached screen shot fles.
I need to dust the motherboard more often with the spray can for this purpose. It has been about a year since I havd done this..
Please tell me about this paste. I do not even know what this is or where to get it and how to use it.

As far as the cooler goes: I do not even know how to check that. I guess I am a noob when it comes to computer hardware. But I will say this: for the last couple of days, I have had the ceiling fan and the desk fan blowing in my home office and I have noticed that the CPU is running a lot cooler.

One more thing is this. I found that I had some malware that seemed to contribute to running my CPU cycles. It was a chrome plug-in that I was tricked into getting on a web site with "CLICK ACCEPT TO PROVE YOU ARE NOT A BOT". I think people should know such things are out there.

Attachments

• CPU-Z.png
    CPU-Z.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 2
  • HwiNFO.png
    HwiNFO.png
    276.7 KB · Views: 2
  • speccy_cpu.png
    speccy_cpu.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
@Captain Xarzu
As long as it is not known what computer you are using, what processor is in use, when was the last time you cleaned the inside of the computer and how did you do it, what processes are running at the moment, when you collect a temperature samples, etc., you cannot guess or say anything.
It is also important to know that all software is up to date, especially that S.M.A.R.T is working correctly.
If it's an older computer, it's a bit much, but if it's a modern CPU based on 10-14nm technology, it's not much or suspicious at all.
I am using the surf onn electronic duster. But I used it too long ago to remember. And so I just used it as I am typing this.
It comes in a packet of two and looks like this. https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/LawAAOSwZ-5fob7C/s-l500.jpg

Here are the specs of my computer
speccy_cpu.png

CPU-Z.png

HwiNFO.png

the Hwinfo software has a huge data set for the CPU (showing all the things it does not have, etc). So I will post a link for that screen shot here: https://www.likablelogic.org/images/HWINFO_CPU.png This image is huge and put together by paint.net. I basicly made it just for fun.

Paste would be thermal paste, the stuff that goes between your cooler and your CPU. This needs to be redone every 5 years or so. I'm assuming that 71c is idle temp to which that is too hot idling.

Paste would be thermal paste, the stuff that goes between your cooler and your CPU. This needs to be redone every 5 years or so. I'm assuming that 71c is idle temp to which that is too hot idling.
I rebooted and checked to find it is idle at 98C. I need this thermal paste. Is there one that can be recommended?

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-ACTCP...id=1680698325&sprefix=arctic+mx,aps,95&sr=8-3

Remove the heatsink. If you think you can't remember how it goes back together then take pictures before removal or figure out the model and find the manual for it.
Wipe the old paste off the heatsink and the CPU. You can use paper towel to do this as long as it's strong.
Use Q tips and some isopropyl alcohol to clean the remaining residue off.
Put a pea sized amount of new paste in the center of the CPU.
Reinstall heatsink.

Back
Top Bottom