Lap top cooling pads advice

stevethebrain

In Runtime
Lap top cooling pads advice

My room is a bit hot averaging around 85 degrees farinhieght, I watch about 10-12 hours of video on net at 1.75 speed from my observations I believe the increased speed also increases load which makes the cpu & SSD to work even harder than at regular speed, I also think that full screen increases load & the avoided gogle seriously increases load is this true or false?

My OS SSD has peak temps. Of mid 80s (90 is critical)an normally operates around low 50s- upper 60s-low 70s temps in celcis. for initial couple hours after about 3 hours these #s increase proposionalley, at his point the underneth part of case holding SSD feels more than warm but hot.

I was thinking of splicing a PC fan w/ a USB wire and placing it directly under the already suspended LTs underneath however I only have large PC case fans.

Or should I order a already made cooler pad. Like this Dual USB Cooling Fan Pad Foldable Slim Fans Cooler Stand for Laptop PC Notebook | eBay

Will a fan like thishttps://www.ebay.com/itm/353565629993?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D238391%26meid%3De0986bad7b484544af81f8150fa33056%26pid%3D101195%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D313476084236%26itm%3D353565629993%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv8PairwiseNativeMskuAspectsV202110SeedMskuPromotion&_trksid=p2047675.c101195.m2219&amdata=cksum%3A353565629993e0986bad7b484544af81f8150fa33056%7Cenc%3AAQAHAAABEBPO%252FPR9YNPqNkePgNgT%252FmQJ2xVGblig9Ix8mviNPFXdw0eNFIgUH3nLm%252BERRNXmmUMaBECzFnpxb2%252Fjxe%252BYYrU%252BoaIOBVma6qJSVI6ZHhsJr0wxdFH9uvdSIt7AxM3OtmDIiegWTSv6A5h0FL31aef9Z1G9Qcni%252B6CZrm3Bkqv3A9rd9WAy9pQZxsK5QViUg6S3dQGcL4WVuPFKX4bieH6yQfhKspJsAhxumjouh7mxEkVjJPf%252FCfXCirY8ga5bqQjFPoVTT3admxwF2voqkP1ZV%252BKmUdSY4r2Di1rfiB%252B5monpHC8uf6TdT%252Fw1WTBiJcMDaLzM1QdW0xq7IZJ1YeheqbQlKefNiYzSOYTUCC8t%7Campid%3APL_CLK%7Cclp%3A2047675

help cool the SSD that’s covered w/ the LTs plastic?

I believe my CPU fan is doing as good as expected under these current envirmental conditions.

Thanks for advice.

here's the underneth of LT the SSD is in green sectione, I haven't felt this area I was backwards when I thought the was in the yellow.

the wifi & ram modules yellow square this is whats getting hot bottom of case.

maybe drilling ventilation holes under the SSD green section then a single external fan right there mite help cooling bc it's on the opposite side of LT I'm sure it won't interfer w/ regular internal fan.

now I'm leaning toward a dual fan one for RAM one for SSD.

edit: I just noticed a plastic dust cover on the RAM I'm thinking even if I had a fan blowing this cover would'nt let the air on the RAM module, I assume it's safe to remove this sheet pf plastic?
thanks

Attachments

• my acerLT.jpg
    my acerLT.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Generally.... on about 99% of the LT's I've seen, the exhaust is the vent on the side. If it is getting hot, you most likely need to clean out the dirt & lint from the fan and it's heatsink. The heatsink has small fins to dissapate the heat and they easily trap lint and stuff. How old is this LT and how long has it been since it has been cleaned? Do you feel or sense any air flow coming out that side vent?

OK you maybe right that the exhaust is to the side, there isn't any dust inside the CPU cooling fan I've blown it out w/ compressed air. the CPUs temps aren't critical. it's the RAM that feels hot when I touch it also the wifi is located next to RAM not sure how much heat it puts out.

I haven't mearsured the RAMs temps. is that even possiable?

it's the RAM that needs cooling, I think my homemade fan setup could be lowering the RAMs temp. more testing to prove that. the SSD seams to be staying cool to the finger touch.
rememebr I watch about 10 hours of net video at 1.75 speed per day so I think this could be creating heat.

additonally I user 2 browsers at the same time foxfire for most videos then edge for gmail & fake book during the gmail I observe the load skyrocket to 100% so I minimize gmail. fakebook isn't that much of a load increase.
thanks

Last edited:
personally I would get the fan and heatsink thoroughly cleaned first and after that see if the ram is still too hot.
By thoroughly cleaning I mean taking the bottom of the laptop off and getting direct access to that heatsink. You never answered my question about how long has it been since this LT has had a good cleaning and can you detect any air flow comimng out of the side vent?

the CPU fan is keeping CPU w/in normal temps. I'm not sure if it's acceptable for the RAM to feel hot to the touch, can it be monitored like the CPU.
I'm not gonna take another chance on swapping in a new CPU fan and thremo phaste heat sink, I ruined the previous MOBO attempting fan swap, then received the wrong fan, not worth the chance.
yes air is exhausting from CPU fan. this replacement used LT appears to have been used very little,
I used compressed air in the intake & exhaust there wasn't much dust in there.

got a deal on it BC the screen was damaged., my plan was to install my old LTs screen and have a LT, untill then I'm using a external TV as a monitor.
here's the thread of the feasco on fan swap never again. you should remember you chimed in w/ advice.

I believe the RAM & wifi modules are expected to get hot BC the panel that covers them is insulated & vented, where the OS drive section isn't vented.the OS which is a SSD drive seams to not be getting hot to touch.
anyway I've removed the RAMs dust cover, removed case cover added the fan seamed to help a tad w/ temps.

https://www.techist.com/forums/thre...ing-fan-is-failing.405095/page-4#post-3380371

Hi steventhebrain, Laptops that are kept in a hot room tend to overheat no matter what type of hard drive. Even gaming laptops can overheat in hot temps. Have you tried using an air conditioner in conjunction with a liquid laptop cooler? This may help.

You stated "I watch about 10-12 hours of video on net at 1.75 speed from my observations I believe the increased speed also increases load which makes the cpu & SSD to work even harder than at regular speed.," That tells me the laptop was overworked and may just need a break. The reason I know is because you stated "My OS SSD has peak temps. Of mid 80s (90 is critical)an normally operates around low 50s- upper 60s-low 70s temps in celcis. for initial couple hours after about 3 hours these #s increase proposionalley, at his point the underneth part of case holding SSD feels more than warm but hot." That tells me that the laptop does have aduquate cooling but needs a break after a specific time passes. Any laptop can overheat if it works too hard just as any human can experience heat exhaustion while working hard and eventually collaps if they dont take a break.

Last edited:
I'm keeping a close eye on monitoring temps. haven't gotton near critical yet.

the fan I attached to RAM is kindof weak not much air being moved, like if I hold it up to my face can't feel much at all however it has improved the the temps.
I thought I had a extra PC case type fan which actualley blows air, need to look around a bit more for it before I order another fan.
didn't know liquid cooling fans where available for LTs please recommend a inexpensive one.

edit: cooling fans like this apparently they attach to the exhaust ports and supplement the CPUs fan? if yes I still think the CPUs fan is doing it job.

https://www.bing.com/shop/productpa...rue"&productpage=true&FORM=SHPPDP&browse=true

as for multi fans it seams to me that fans underneth the CPU air intake would acteally interfer w/ the CPUs fan making it turn backwards?

Last edited:
I'm keeping a close eye on monitoring temps. haven't gotton near critical yet.

the fan I attached to RAM is kindof weak not much air being moved, like if I hold it up to my face can't feel much at all however it has improved the the temps.
I thought I had a extra PC case type fan which actualley blows air, need to look around a bit more for it before I order another fan.
didn't know liquid cooling fans where available for LTs please recommend a inexpensive one.

edit: cooling fans like this apparently they attach to the exhaust ports and supplement the CPUs fan? if yes I still think the CPUs fan is doing it job.

https://www.bing.com/shop/productpage?q=liquid+laptop+cooler?&filters=scenario:"17"+gType:"3"+gId:"Im5OOH7KNEn6FPDQemmM7iOnxP"+gIdHash:"982375347"+gGlobalOfferIds:"52418847390"+AucContextGuid:"0"+GroupEntityId:"Im5OOH7KNEn6FPDQemmM7iOnxP"+NonSponsoredOffer:"True"&productpage=true&FORM=SHPPDP&browse=true

as for multi fans it seams to me that fans underneth the CPU air intake would acteally interfer w/ the CPUs fan making it turn backwards?
I agree that you should watch what type of cooling system you purchase for the very same reason you stated above. There are safer brands that wont cause the fan to blow in the wrong direction but more expensive though. I can research a laptop cooler that may be ideal for an LT that is reasonably priced if possible. If I can locate an online store I will let you know. I dont do links though. The last time I provided a link to another forum member I was kicked out for spamming and that was never my intentions. I will just state the name of the site instead. You need a cooling system that blows in the same direction as the fan to prevent obstructive air flow. I believe a liquid cooling system would be the safest alternative and is less likely to cause obstructive air flow.

Did you mean LG? I never heard of an LT.

Last edited:
Hi steventhebrain, I'm not sure if there is a Best Buy in your area but you can try contacting a service represenative and find out if they have a liquid cooling system that is reasonably priced. If thats not possible, you can try Wallmart online.

Back
Top Bottom