Official Windows 10 Thread

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum today, and I was wondering if someone could me give some advice on possibly upgrading to Windows 10. I have an HP Pavilion desktop that's just about 6 years old. The computer is fairly slow these days, and I've been thinking about upgrading the RAM. Should I do that before attempting to upgrade to 10 or should it not matter?

Depends on what the specs are.

If it's running Win7 or Win8 it should run Win10 just fine. Possibly better, since Win10 has a lot of under-the-hood tweaks and definitely feels snappier than Win7 even.

Thank you very much, Carnage. I'm running Win7 right now. I was just curious since the hard disk light on the front panel of the tower is usually quickly flashing or just remains lit solid. Once in a while I clear unnecessary startup processes to speed things up a bit, but something has been telling me to upgrade my RAM. I wasn't sure if my existing situation would cause problems for an OS upgrade such as this.

Like I said, depends on your specs (please post them if possible).

An SSD would be a worthwhile purchase/upgrade for hardware. RAM - depends on how much you have right now.

You could always try running the trial version of Windows 10 Enterprise (90 day trial, IIRC) and see if you like it / if it performs well. If not, you can stick with Win7.

I'm not at home at the moment, so I don't have all my specs handy. I do know that I don't have a solid state drive, and that I have 4 GB of DDR3 memory at the moment. My power supply blew last fall, so I replaced that, and while I was doing so, I noticed that there were no extra slots to expand the memory, so I can essentially only replace it. I just don't know how much good that would do. I've been on the fence about whether I want to keep upgrading what I have or just get a new computer or build one on my own.

4GB is the minimum for Win10 x64. Should be ok unless you tend to multitask a lot. I assumed you didn't have an SSD - but definitely a worthwhile upgrade even for older systems. And with prices dropping like crazy on SSD's it's easy to get a decent sized one for fairly cheap.

Building your own is always fun and better ;).

I don't multitask very much and I'm not a gamer, so I don't need anything crazy. I took a class on computer repair for the degree I'm currently pursuing and got to mess around with some old machines and did some simulated builds, so I'm very intrigued about building one myself. I had to take a lot of my current one apart to replace the power supply, so that was a fun challenge. Thank you again, I really appreciate the advice.

^ I heard about it.. Thinking about moving my work machines over to Win10 :tongue: My SP3 already has it but I don't use it much.

Back
Top Bottom