Official Windows 10 Thread

The Win10 Upgrade are supposed to carry over the license rights of the previous OS (i.e. upgrading from Win7/8 OEM will result in an OEM WIn10, but upgrading from Win7/8 Retail will give you a Retail Win10). There's been some issues with that already and some clarity is needed on if that's indeed the case - but according to the license agreement for Win10, that's how it's supposed to work.

So if you have an OEM copy and swap out your motherboard...then yes you need to buy a new copy of Win10. If you have retail however, it should be fine as retail allows transfer to another system as long as it's installed only on 1 single system at a time.

Yes, your activation will still work at any time now because you already went through with the upgrade.

It did that for me as well even on a clean install - was thinking it downloaded and applied an additional update or something and those settings didn't get saved right away. Not exactly sure, but didn't result in any issues.
Oddly wasn't the case for me. When experimenting at work with the upgrade and install procedure Windows 10 upgrade took the pirated version and upgraded it to 10 Pro, but my Retail 8.1 Pro key it kept saying was invalid when it's a legit key I can use to install and activate 8.1 every single time.

Also, I found it weird that when I permanently disable Defender via a reg entry it knocked my copy of 10 Pro down to 10 Home Single Language.

well finally tried win10 - literally took 4-5 hours to upgrade from win7 on my laptop. So far- i hate it. But it may just take time getting used to. It Certainly doesn't like Thunderbird/Firefox. Mouse scrolling fails , what the hell is a "conversation" when just trying to look at emails it tabs them all and considers them conversations= weird. Makes quickly looking at emails or deleting or saving emails difficult.

well finally tried win10 - literally took 4-5 hours to upgrade from win7 on my laptop. So far- i hate it. But it may just take time getting used to. It Certainly doesn't like Thunderbird/Firefox. Mouse scrolling fails , what the hell is a "conversation" when just trying to look at emails it tabs them all and considers them conversations= weird. Makes quickly looking at emails or deleting or saving emails difficult.

As of yesterday I have realized the benefit of doing a clean install of windows 10. I take it you upgraded in place judging by the time it took you to install. So far my computer seems more stable with a fresh copy.

Mouse scrolling works fine for me in firefox both on my desktop and laptops and I only have issues with scrolling on one of my older laptops which is due to the unavailability of a mouse driver designed for windows 10

So make sure you have all the latest drivers for your laptop.

Wow, not sure why the upgrade took that long for you....something wrong with your HDD or install maybe? Or possibly a slow source (from where it was reading the Win10 files).

Firefox works fine on my install, so not sure what issues you're having there...I don't use thunderbird so I can't comment on that (I use Outlook).

Conversations as in like what most phones have for texting - has all sent/received grouped by person. I'm guessing this is using the built-in Email app? I'm sure you can change that - I don't use it since I use full-fledged Outlook.

Mouse scrolling works fine for me as well - both on my touchpad and my G700s.

Have you tried doing a clean install after you did your upgrade to make sure you're not having any one-off issues?

Last edited:
hmm.. no, did not do a "clean install" - did an update as you guys guessed. I will look for new drivers- that makes sense. The scrolling issue is when I am trying to scroll down the page in Firefox or scroll down the page looking at emails- it keeps changing the font size like if you held down CTRL button and scrolled with mouse at the same time to zoom in on a pic or tiny text. SO, maybe a driver will fix that.

The email "conversation" stuff also makes sense and since I do not have a smart phone that is why i had no idea what it was -LOL. That will have to be shut off as I dont like it "at all". Will look into doing a clean install- will that mean i will lose everything on the laptop?

hmm.. no, did not do a "clean install" - did an update as you guys guessed. I will look for new drivers- that makes sense. The scrolling issue is when I am trying to scroll down the page in Firefox or scroll down the page looking at emails- it keeps changing the font size like if you held down CTRL button and scrolled with mouse at the same time to zoom in on a pic or tiny text. SO, maybe a driver will fix that.

The email "conversation" stuff also makes sense and since I do not have a smart phone that is why i had no idea what it was -LOL. That will have to be shut off as I dont like it "at all". Will look into doing a clean install- will that mean i will lose everything on the laptop?

Well...2 options you can try.

1) Use the "Reset PC" feature under Settings -> Updates & Recovery -> Recovery; choose to keep your personal data and let it reinstall Windows. It will uninstall all applications and create an HTML file on your desktop containing the list of applications that were removed (with download links if it can find them).

2) Clean install from disc: Yes, you'll want to backup all your data and make a list of all your installed applications.

I'm noticing a huge flaw in how updates are installed which would be easy for microsoft to fix. My settings are set to automatic and it says it will install updates on next "restart" or at 3:00am. However I never have my computer on at 3am and I always shut down completely at night. So as a result a restart has been pending for about a week without my knowledge. I wish microsoft would give the option to install updates on shutdown and finish them on start up. I know this was annoying to some (me included when using my laptop in class) when you would be about to shut down the computer and leave for the day only to have a line of updates holding you back from shutting the computer off. I wouldn't mind this on my desktop so I wish that was an option if we wanted to install at shutdown

Doesn't it still do that? I guess I've just been seeing the pending restart notification every now and then and will reboot when I'm not doing anything. Can't recall if I've shut down and let updates install.

Back
Top Bottom