mac vs pc questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh, ok... so the whole "macs dont play well with games" thing is just a sterotype then... ok...

Yeah thats a pretty old stereotype for macs. Kind of like that Megahertz Myth campaign (doesnt apply anymore now that AMD is making super efficient chips that are clocked like Apple's but perform better). I may be a mac lover but Im not ignorant to real world proof like some mac heads are.

hate to do this on a mac forum... but in case you guys havent seen this cute little clip... here is why a lot of people think that macs arent gaming machines:

just check out the clip here

HAHAHA! That clip was great! Any more where that came from?

that's the only mac spoof ive ever seen, but if you are into playing Halo, that site hosts a series called red vs blue which is a hilarious halo comedy.

i think they are right around episode 22 now though, if you are interested in seeing them, you would probably have to look em up on file planet. but i would recommend checking an episode out to see if you like it.

Macs will always come in 2nd place when it comes to video games ;-) I say this because you cant download any mac games off the net..lol.

Win2kpatcher said:
Macs will always come in 2nd place when it comes to video games ;-) I say this because you cant download any mac games off the net..lol.

Ever heard of Bit Torrent? Slow but its got almost all of em. Ambrosia SW, like mac_mogul said, makes some premo games that are classics (like Maelstorm and Escape Velocity). But, obviously, it shouldnt matter, because you should be buying all your games from a store...because I do...seriously...*dodgy eyes*.

Cherubimon_3.20 said:
I heard that viruses are hard to make for Macs becuase they dont let you view code. Macs are also good for photo editing.

Thtas not entirely true. Macs are pretty easy to write virii for if you know wht to hit and how to hit it :). But in any case no one would really bother writing one because there really arent that many Apple users out there to do damage compared with PC users, which are more common and more suceptable to attack.

Macs can photoedit, but the higher end x86 chips have dethroned PPC chips for top dogs of the photo editing market (photoshop bench scores, not real life usage marks)

Cherubimon_3.20 said:
I heard that viruses are hard to make for Macs becuase they dont let you view code. Macs are also good for photo editing.

There are other reasons that viruses are actually harder to write for Mac. Mac OS X doesn't have various lists of programs to load on the startup. A program can't just put its name into a registry saying that it is to load whenever the system loads. Windows definetly has some security and design flaws that make it more virus ready the Mac OS X. I'm not sure if X is this way, but in Linux, most of the things a virus will do will require root privaliges. Unlike Windows XP which just has Admin accounts and Limited accounts, Linux will have one root and then accounts with various customizable levels of control. Most normal users would never do their regular work in root...which is used for driver installations, system file editing, etc. On the other hand, in Windows most normal users keep admin privilages to use in their main account because the limited user account can barely do anything at all. I'm not sure what OS X has in terms of a root admin and such...but if it does, then viruses are much harder to set up.

qiranworms said:
There are other reasons that viruses are actually harder to write for Mac. Mac OS X doesn't have various lists of programs to load on the startup. A program can't just put its name into a registry saying that it is to load whenever the system loads.

Not exactly. May I point you to this system prefs menu pane:

Attachments

• dxdiag.txt
    35.6 KB · Views: 208
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom