The Next-Gen Review Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
same here >.> it just happens that I have a step-up available so I was leaning towards nVid.
Heck i've already got an x38 so I'd be better off with ATI.

I ran away since there's no real point without any benchmarks for the 4870x2. no interest in the 4850 ;p

Well 4850 crossfire already surpasses the GTX280 in many instances....so the 4870x2 will be even better :)

eh oh read my edits. i don't usually refresh the page till I'm happy with my post lol.

i look at crossfire like i look at sli. and of course 2 cards are going to beat 1 in most occasions. thats not even an apples to apples comparison.

I'm not trying to argue the 4870x2 will win out. I think it's good for ati and am looking forward to it. But all i see everywhere is people going (crossfire blah beats out this single gpu card woo).
Of course I understand that even buying 2 4850's and crossfiring is cheaper than the 280, which is nice and 9/10 times probably the better buy.

Single card solution is always the better bet imo, because then you can get two of those ones, and have a monster.

I just hope we don't have to wait 2 years for some decent 4870x2 x2 ati drivers. (not that nvidia drivers are much much better)

ah well I could care less about dual and single card stuff. :p I only ask myself 3 questions when buying....

1) How much does it cost?

2) How does it perform?

3) What is its potential for overclocking?

***edit**** omg techpowerups CoD4 results are up and look at where the 4850 stands :D

cod4_1600_1200.gif

ah. im about the same kinda. Except I don't ask myself how much does it cost. If I see the performance I like then cost is irrelevant XD

I look at it this way. I can just spend another week working for the extra money.
Or work 1 overtime day :)

They finally added the step up option so I started the process. It's friday so it probably won't even advance till monday. I'll be able to re-sell the 280 for more than the gx2 when the 4870x2 is released. I'll probably come out even since the 4870x2 will be cheaper, and theres still a small cost to step up, but I get the added bonus of benching and playing around with the gtx280 for a while first.

I've had my fun with the gx2, though I do have to run vantage 1 more time with new cpu first :S
Pretty low overclockability on my card and the fact that it just runs too damned hot is good enough reason for me to ditch it. Idle at 82c with load over 103 makes me paranoid. Not to mention heats up my room like a furnace.

ah well I could care less about dual and single card stuff. :p I only ask myself 3 questions when buying....

1) How much does it cost?

2) How does it perform?

3) What is its potential for overclocking?

***edit**** omg techpowerups CoD4 results are up and look at where the 4850 stands :D

cod4_1600_1200.gif

same. OMG.........performs better then my card! Gosh i need to OC my CPU more, it's just choking the life out of my HD 3870 x2.

hey that's pretty darn good performance.

i remember getting around 60fps at 1920x1200 on cod4 with my 8800 though >.> that seems a bit odd.

hey that's pretty **** good performance.

i remember getting around 60fps at 1920x1200 on cod4 with my 8800 though >.> that seems a bit odd.

We don't know what timedemo they used. At 1680x1050 4xAA 16xAF I can sometimes get around 70 average...but usually it's more like 50ish average for me unless I turn down the AF a bit to application managed...it all depends on the level and what's going on around you.

ah true. anyhow for price/performance im damned impressed.

kinda makes me excited to see what the 4870x2 can do.

besides the red cards look cooler sitting in your case XD goes with my red-theme too ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom