GTX 580 Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I end up with the money somehow, I might go for this. Gotta try and get as many upgrades in as I can before I start uni next year :p

I've noticed that with Newegg; they show "regular" or "retail" prices much higher than normal to give the false appearance than their sales are more extraordinary. Not really an uncommon sales technique, but I personally hold Newegg to higher standards than that...lol.

^Yha seen the free 3dmark11...

Funny, newegg has all 580s at 10% off, It works out abit cheaper from the egg, but shipping then makes it about the sAme.

But the free 3dmark from evga I'd go there.

The 10% will probably last awhile, till the price gets lowered back. Newegg is trying to trick everyone into buying from them.

I'd really love to know the markup on this sorta stuff.

I read the anand tech review. Frankly, I'm quite impressed. Even though it isn't a full next gen card, what Nvidia did with power, temp, and noise is quite impressive. I'm really not going to upgrade my video card though until college is over. There really is going to be no need to since games aren't going to see a big enough jump in performance requirements until the next consoles come out. I mean, if I can get a second 285 off ebay for under $100, I might do it. Besides that though, this rig is going to stay the same.

found this a bit interesting.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 Barely Faster than GTX 480 at Same Clock Speeds - Legit Reviews

metro_same.jpg

We are seeing a 1.33 to 1.66 FPS increase with just the extra CUDA cores, which translated to just a 3.5% boost in performance in Metro 2033 at 1920x1200. It looks like going from 480 to 512 CUDA Cores is minor and that the bulk of the performance boost is due to the higher clock frequencies that the card comes with. NVIDIA claimed up to a 30% performance increase and we saw a 31% increase in 3DMark vantage, but in real games the most we saw was 18% during the testing we did in our review. What are your thoughts?

"NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 Barely Faster than GTX 480 at Same Clock Speeds"

Doesn't really matter, since at stock they're not at the same clock speeds. It's a bit like saying 'HD5870 no faster than HD5850 when underclocked' :p

And I'm not surprised to see that nVidia's presumably cherry-picked results don't stand up to real-world tests, all companies do it and it's not a bad thing by any means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom