Official 5870 Review/Discussion Thread!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vern said:
Your HD 4890 makes my HD 3850 look like weakling o_O.

Only games my GPU is getting raped in (that I've played) are GTA IV, Crapsis and Resident Evil 5.
Yep. I can't complain about the 3850. I fact, it plays good enough for me that I am focusing on other hardware with my birthday upgrade.

Just to call attention to my quest, check out my thread (especially all you who are upgrading):
http://www.techist.com/forums/f40/looking-upgrade-parts-216724/

Well I told everybody how I feel about it, its the game's storyline that sucks (IMO).

I can play it Medium High settings perfectly fine, when I wrote that previous list, I was referring to games that I CANNOT MAX OUT! Needless to say, I loved Warhead a lot, and I could run that at the same level as Crysis.

Needless to prove my point even more Zmatt, I loved GTA IV, and I could barely run it.

EDIT: There are people out there who hate Crysis and have way better rigs than me. Ricanflow, for example, (wherever he maybe) also hates Crysis, yet runs an excellent rig with a GTX 295.

I don't see where the hatertude comes from. Since when does everyone care about storylines so much in fps games? I have seen games with much worse storylines get praised. FEAR doesn't have a good storyline, I don't see anyone bashing it. neither does gears of war, but it's gory so we overlook that. The purpose of the game is shooting people in pretty graphics and with awesome physics. The game mechanics are solid, everything works well and the story, while uninspired and generic is solid. it isn't like the live action scenes from the first resident evil.

I think people hate on crysis because it's the easy and popular thing to do. I played it and amongst the effects I felt rather immersed. Realistic explosions go a long way with immersion.

Graphics never really meant B.S. to me.. I still enjoy Starcraft and Morrowind and both are relatively old.

What always sucks me in is a good story line, fun and replay ability, Crysis didn't do it for me on the first and the last, but it was somewhat fun until you got towards the ending.

I think everyone is allowed an opinion, and Vern has his reasons. Just because hating Crysis is the "popular thing to do" doesn't mean that everyone who hates it is jumping on the "hater bandwagon". It just means that they actually think for themselves and have opinions.

More on topic though.

Everything I've read so far is pointing to this thing being quite the beast for sure. But saying that ATI is king because it outperforms the last generation's cards is a little premature, considering GT300 hasn't been released yet. We'll see how it goes once that happens.

But either way you look at it, this generation of video cards is really a new turning point, just like the 8800GTX/Ultra was.

I like story.........sometimes. Am i in danger if i get the HD 5870 x2 because of my PSU? I know it isnt out yet but two HD 5870's in Crossfire requires a 600w or higher PSU.

You have 700W so there's nothing to worry about.

The X2 version should take less power than 2 in CF.

ya true. I wonder if the x16 2.0 bandwidth is being taken advantage already :/.

EDIT:

What do you guys think about the tessellation being used in DirectX11? Here a link to an article talking about it showing pics with it on and off. Really cool if u ask me: DirectX 11: Tessellation in Stalker: CoP, Dirt 2, Unigine and Alien vs. Predator - DirectX 11, Tessellation, Radeon HD 5800, Graphics card - PC Games Hardware

The tessellation looks pretty cool, seems like it would take a lot of power to do though. Might not end up too bad since only objects that would make sense to the player would this be used on.

Everything I've read so far is pointing to this thing being quite the beast for sure. But saying that ATI is king because it outperforms the last generation's cards is a little premature, considering GT300 hasn't been released yet. We'll see how it goes once that happens.

I don't think it's that premature, no one waited for r600 before giving G80 the performance crown. Once we have more detailed info on GT300 we can always reevaluate who has the top spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom