steak fajitas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where does "London Broil" come from?...or rather what is the official cut that is called "London Broil"?

London Broil is a preparation not a cut. It's usually "Flank, Shoulder or Round". It needs a lot of tenderizing. If it's not tenderized, it's inedible. It should also never be cooked past medium rare.

Well I think I'm going with the eye of round cuts. They seem like they would do the job. It'll be cut thinly and marinated for hours so it shouldn't be tough.

^^^^
I don't like my steak medium rare...I like my meat well done. I can't stand the thought of eating something with blood dripping out of it :\

Well I think I'm going with the eye of round cuts. They seem like they would do the job. It'll be cut thinly and marinated for hours so it shouldn't be tough.

^^^^
I don't like my steak medium rare...I like my meat well done. I can't stand the thought of eating something with blood dripping out of it :\

lol... Eye Round Steaks, well done? Plan on marinating those for like 2 days. Also, do you know how to cut those steaks to make them easier to eat?

I'd go with chicken instead.

lol... Eye Round Steaks, well done? Plan on marinating those for like 2 days. Also, do you know how to cut those steaks to make them easier to eat?

I'd go with chicken instead.

pshhh you're just one of those stubborn steak people. " if you cook a meat beyond rare you're wasting it"...sorry, man invented fire for a reason :p

no i do not know how to cut them, if you would enlighten me on that i would appreciated though :p

eh for all i know i might pick up something different.

If you would make a list of like the top 5 choices I should look for (besides skirt and flank sadly :\ ) that'd be great.

edit: what about flat iron steak? it's available and it seems to be getting popular

lol, no i'm not one of those stubborn steak people. Sometimes I will cook my steaks too long. ( Especially) when I'm drinking a few beers while grilling. It's just a Eye Round is a very tough piece of meat to begin with. It's a section of muscle from the rump of the cow. Over cooking it will contract the muscle fibers and make the meat tougher. Don't get me wrong, I like beef jerky, but I don't want to eat it for dinner.

Anyway...

Cutting steaks for fajitas is easy. You simply MUST cut the steak against the grain. Look at them before you cook them. Find which direction the grain runs. After you cook them to your liking, you want to cut against the grain. Think of the muscle as 50 drinking straws taped together in a neat bundle. The length of the straws is the grain. If you were to cut with the grain, you'd have to eat long fibrous strands. BUT if you cut against the grain you will be cutting small tubular sections that will easily break apart with hardly any effort.
I'm assuming you are grilling, correct?

1.) Tenderloin
2.) Top Sirloin
3.) Strip Steaks
4.) Rib Eye
5.) Porterhouse (not great for fajitas while camping)

yes grilling, thanks for the list but look at my edit above ^^^ I seen a couple websites say flat iron steak is just as good as skirt steak...any personal experience with it?

I've never used it. It's from the Shoulder / Chuck. It will be similar to cooking a round. If you can find it it will probably be called "top blade roast" or something like that.

Marinading will be key.

NO problem. Food is one of my loves. Even though I'm not a big eater. I've worked in many restaurants and my TV has the Food Network logo burnt into the screen. I have a great book at home someone bought me a few years ago that is all about Beef. It's part cow anatomy / part cook book.

Last week when I was in Florida, I had a chance to use my parents Smoker. I made ribs that made a vegetarian go carnivore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom