Memory Error installing XP over WIN98

Status
Not open for further replies.

carterjg

Solid State Member
I have a 3-year old computer, P3, 2GB RAM, XP SP2, no printer or external devices. It came up with "no OS" errors and would not boot up. I dont have a full install XP disk, only an upgrade. I do have a full install win98 cd, so i was going to install that and then upgrade to XP. Win98 installed with no problems and it is working fine (as far as win98 goes!). when I try to upgrade to XP, i get an error message that says "Insufficient memory for installation". When i look at system properties, it shows i have 1GB RAM. Checking the BIOS on boot, it also is showing 1GB. I cleaned and reseated the RAM cards (2 - 1GB cards), switched card slots etc, but it still only shows 1 GB. Even though it only is showing 1 GB RAM, it should still have plenty of memory free to install XP. I did an "edit config.sys" and an "edit autoexec.bat" and there is nothing showing (files are empty). According to Mircrosoft, these files are not needed in Win98. Something appears to using memory, but i cant find it. Any ideas?
thanks so much,
Jeff

Try booting up with only one stick in. If successful, try the other stick. If they both work, there must be a bad slot. Try just one stick in different slots.

Mom,thanks for the reply. It turns out that one stick is flaky, so i just removed it. The main problem still remains - 1 GB Ram should be enough to load XP, but it says there is insufficient memory. How can i find out what is using so much memory so i can correct that and load XP?
thanks again,
Jeff

You have to boot to Win98 first and then use the CD to do the upgrade. Being an upgrade only disk you have to start the process from within a qualifying OS first for it to work.

Mak, appreciate the quick reply. I am indeed booted up in win98. I insert the XP upgrade cd and get through the initial setup screens. it gets to the screen where it has all the install steps listed on the left side. The first step is highlighted which says something like "Analyzing System". It gets to about 64% complete, hangs for a few minutes and then pops up the "Insufficient memory to perfoem install" error.
thanks,
Jeff

Then there is an issue with the memory controller or RAM slots.

no - its the second Ram stick. One stick will work in all slots, so i know the slots are good. The second stick will not work in any slot. To test this, i removed the second stick and successfully booted the computer with the first stick in each of the 3 slots(booted 3 times with the first stick in a different slot each boot). Then i removed the first stick, installed the second stick and tried booting with the second stick in a different slot each time. I get a bunch of beeps, and it will not boot.

No it is the memory controller. XP will not throw out that error unless there is an issue with the RAM slots that cant be detected by running MemTest or other software. Just cause you can boot the system doesnt make the Slots good. That just means they pass the POST. Passing the POST and running an OS are completely different. XP has much different technology than Win98 does and it requires much more scrutiny when it comes to how things like Memory Controllers operate.

So yet again I say, it is the Memory Controller.

Still trying to figure out how you got a PC 3 years ago with a Pentium 3 when those were not made or manufacturer for quite some time now. Last time anyone of them was even manufacturered was in 2001. So this PC was already used to begin with. The PC itself is at least 10 years old and quite possibly up to 12 years old. Since the first run of Pentium 3 chips was in 1999. So yeah it is quite easily the RAM slots are bad. Dont judge it by the POST passing. That means nothing.

The computer was supposed to be "New" when i bought, i guess it wasnt. Is there a setup or configuration for the Memory Controller, or is it hardware on the motherboard that is toast?

On a P3 system the memory controller is built into the chipset on the motherboard. Depending upon the motherboards manufacturer there may or may not be any options in the bios to adjust. But unless you've been adjusting the bios, the settings should be set correctly. But you can just clear the bios to reset the defaults.

The biggest problem your going to have is that all the main components in your system are reaching their life expectancy. Right around the 10 year mark (+/- a year or two) things start dying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom