Files missing from drive in external enclosure

I use Partition Wizard but the problem is file exploring or trying to copy files to another location isn't really supported in the live boot environment. You can do a drive recovery and copy that way but it first has to scan the entire drive which isn't necessary for a healthy drive. If I'm in this kind of situation then I usually just plop the drive as a D in a completely separate machine to do the file transfer. Preferably in the from of external.

I use Partition Wizard but the problem is file exploring or trying to copy files to another location isn't really supported in the live boot environment. You can do a drive recovery and copy that way but it first has to scan the entire drive which isn't necessary for a healthy drive. If I'm in this kind of situation then I usually just plop the drive as a D in a completely separate machine to do the file transfer. Preferably in the from of external.
Partition Magic will let you copy files over onto a usb but you have to mount the usb first

Partition Magic will let you copy files over onto a usb but you have to mount the usb first
I just realized we've been talking about the same thing this whole time lol.
I use it to recover data off dying drives for customers as it allows me to shoot all their data to a network store I made for drive recovery. It's just not the easiest to slap another drive in and copy over in the live boot.

It's just not the easiest to slap another drive in and copy over in the live boot.
I just use a large gb sata drive in an external usb enclosure. Mount the usb and then I can copy/paste the files to the usb. I admit it is not fast even with usb 3.0 but it does get the job done.

I just use a large gb sata drive in an external usb enclosure. Mount the usb and then I can copy/paste the files to the usb. I admit it is not fast even with usb 3.0 but it does get the job done.
Maybe I need to find a newer version of the live boot because I can't copy and paste in explorer. Only view. I'm on 12.7

Here's what you can do -

1. Try to Restart your Computer and Reconnect Your External Hard Drive.
2. Use a file recovery software like Advanced File Recover to recover Data From an External Hard Drive.
3. Scan your device for viruses.

Sorry that I forgot to reply to the thread.

It looks like her MS Office was set to save to her OneDrive for whatever reason. I copied the contents to her new NVMe drive and changed the setting in the new installation. So far everything seems to be where it needs to be.

Thanks for the brainstorming. Lots of good info in it all.

Sorry that I forgot to reply to the thread.

It looks like her MS Office was set to save to her OneDrive for whatever reason. I copied the contents to her new NVMe drive and changed the setting in the new installation. So far everything seems to be where it needs to be.

Thanks for the brainstorming. Lots of good info in it all.
Sounds like Onedrive would have saved her if something bad happened. I'd leave it on IMO.

Back
Top Bottom