help with slow playing music files

Status
Not open for further replies.

roadrager

Beta member
ok i must have messed something up ....
I was having some problems with the volume control on my computer (the volume would automatically turn itself down every time i tried to play a file) I got annoyed with it so I decided to remove my soundcard and re-install the drivers. I have done this before and I have all the latest drivers....the problem is now when I play files in Windows Media Player they are really really slowwwwww, same with the Kazza player. The funny thing is, Winamp plays music at the normal speed (it does sound kind of hollow though). I wonder if has anything to do with WDM because when I removed the soundcard I didnt have my windows 98 disc on hand and had to cancel the setup and use drivers that I had downloaded from the manufacturer after a few tries the drivers were eventually loaded and are supposedly working properly. but when I got a hold of my win98 disc and tried again, the computer automatically finds the drivers and sets them up without even prompting me to locate the software for it (and doesn't even ask for the win98 disk anymore) and it hasn't fixed the problem of slow playing music and video files....I am at the point now where I feel like just buying a new soundcard and getting rid of the old one. but if its a software problem that I can easily fix I would much rather do that than spend the $$$ Can anyone help me??

It sounds like there is some sort of processing going on at the directsound level. Check to make sure in the volume controls for both windows and the hardware that there is no sort of processing going on. The reason winamp would work like that is because it has two different ways of access the soundcard, through directsound like most windows apps or through the waveout plugin which is a more direct method. Just check for processing because that is all it sounds like. Try putting in different drivers too!

problem solved! it was because of the WDM drivers, I had them on my computer but my system didn't automatically choose them.
thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom