Downloading

Status
Not open for further replies.

sir nerdalot

In Runtime
Is it illegal to download a tv show? Here are a few points:

-If the reason it is illegal is that they don't want you to watch it again without buying the DVDs, then why is the PVR, DVD recorder and VCR not illegal as well?

-The tv show was free to air in the first place, so it's not like I am stealing something which I would have had to pay for to view

-With songs, the only way to get an mp3 on to your iPod or whatever is to either rip it from a cd, or download it. If you rip it, then you have 2 copies of it, and I thought that was illegal. If you download it, then that is apparently illegal as well

-What if the TV show only airs in another country or is otherwise unavailable apart from downloads?

-If it is, in fact, illegal, then LimeWire and all those P2P services would have anticipated that people would put tv shows on them, yet there is nothing stopping people from doing exactly that!

Technically, yes they are if, from what I understand, they are broadcast via cable or satellite.

Well, (I hope this doesn't sound rude) I was talking about free tv, not cable or sattelite. But on that note, would Digital Free-to-air be any different from regular FTA tv in terms of downloading?

I'm pretty sure it's illegal to distribute the source without the owner's consent. If you rip an album into your computer, that's OK and is not illegal until you start distributing it to other people. If you record a TV show on your VCR or whatever, I don't know but I doubt the FBI will care until you start hosting stuff online. But if you download something from someone who illegally distributed the source, then yea you're probably engaging in illegal activity but it's usually the person who distribute the mass amount who gets in more trouble.

Hello,

I agree with Law. Also...

-With songs, the only way to get an mp3 on to your iPod or whatever is to either rip it from a cd, or download it. If you rip it, then you have 2 copies of it, and I thought that was illegal. If you download it, then that is apparently illegal as well

Well, downloading MP3 files is not illegal if you have paid for it and downloaded it through a legal service. Napster is an example of a service where you can purchase and download MP3 files legally.

Downloading copyrighted MP3 files off a P2P network however, is illegal.

The legality of ripping audio discs is controversial, and laws vary in different countries. Views also change depending on what stakeholder you are. For example, in the UK, making a copy of copyrighted media without the owner's consent is considered illegal (which includes ripping music from an audio disc to a PC or a music player).

In America, the RIAA are fine with consumers copying and ripping audio CDs onto the PC or music players for personal use. While they make this statement, they have contradicted themselves in the past. Ripping audio discs for personal use is deemed 'fair use'.

...But if you download something from someone who illegally distributed the source, then yea you're probably engaging in illegal activity but it's usually the person who distribute the mass amount who gets in more trouble.

Ok, you said that it is illegal to download from someone who distributed it, thats how you downlaod anyway. so your saying its illegal to download tv and music full stop.

Also, the last part of your post, does that mean that if you and I had been sharing illegal files (and the fbi found out), I gave you 1 and you gave me 100. Then would the feds go after you because you sent me stuff or me because i had received stuff?

Hello,

Ok, you said that it is illegal to download from someone who distributed it, thats how you downlaod anyway. so your saying its illegal to download tv and music full stop.

Law said is illegal to download something from someone who illegally distributed it. For example, distributing copyrighted music files over a P2P network without permission of the artist / music label.

Also, the last part of your post, does that mean that if you and I had been sharing illegal files (and the fbi found out), I gave you 1 and you gave me 100. Then would the feds go after you because you sent me stuff or me because i had received stuff?

Law is correct.

Well, the RIAA and MPAA (in the US) are the main bodies who are trying to clamp down on illegal file sharing and illegal downloads of music files / movies. Basically, the RIAA and MPAA are more likely to prosecute mass file sharers (distributing such files illegally), than prosecute those who download files illegally. However, they comment that they will not hesitate to track down extreme users who download in larger numbers.

The idea is that by removing these file sharers from the network, there will be less and less illegal music / movies available. They just simply don't have sufficient resources to track down and prosecute all the individual users who only download, say, several songs / movies a day over a P2P network.

Using VHS/DVD recorder/Sky + is LEGAL (in the UK at least) for time shifting purposes. If you then wish to watch it again then technically it is illegal.

The concentration for the RIAA and MPAA is the ones who are making the original copy and not as much those who are seeding it/downloading it. Due to it being so wide spread.

Or you could move over to Canada (unless they have changed their stance on this?) ;)

If you are unable to watch something on TV at the time of airing you can record it to watch at a later date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom