CPU Recommendations

Just wondering, did the whole intel meltdown thing influence your cpu decision?

I am/was looking to upgrade to coffee as well from i5 3570k with a similar rig as yours. Just wondering how bad the "alleged" performance hit will be.

Minimal, and AMD isn't out of the water.

Uhhh with meltdown? yes it is. With spectre? Not so much. Meltdown ONLY affects Intel, and it can be done remotely.

Spectre on the other hand, requires physical access to your machine, but could potentially affect some AMD or ARM processors, but it definitely affects a crap ton of Intel processors.

AMD released a statement stating that there is a near zero risk of Spectre being used against their processors due to differences in CPU Architecture.

Also on another note, I'm looking at purchasing some more fans for my Corsair 200R to reduce the internal temperatures a bit.

If anyone has recommendations on the fans I should buy, please feel free to list them. Though I am partial towards Corsair because their fans actually *look* nice. (Unlike Noctua colours... ewww).

Right now I'm looking at whether to buy airflow or static pressure fans. Airflow fans would be good for the top of my case, because I could turn that into an exhaust, and static pressure ones would be good for the front intake due to the limited space for air to flow into the case itself via the front bezel.

Uhhh with meltdown? yes it is. With spectre? Not so much. Meltdown ONLY affects Intel, and it can be done remotely.

Spectre on the other hand, requires physical access to your machine, but could potentially affect some AMD or ARM processors, but it definitely affects a crap ton of Intel processors.

AMD released a statement stating that there is a near zero risk of Spectre being used against their processors due to differences in CPU Architecture.
Meltdown is already patched, Spectre affects ALL processors. The only CPUs that are clear from type 1 are Epyc and Ryzen Pro due to SME but they aren't clear from type 2 or 3. Even then any attacks (which haven't happened in over 10 years mind you OR the 7 months this has known about publically) will be targeted at multi-million dollar virtual environments. Aka, as regular joes we can ignore this. Just like we did with Blaster, the USB/ME exploits, and everything else. Meltdown patches have been proven to have minimal effect on gaming and regular tasks IE less than 5%. So I wouldn't sip from the fear mongering koolaid the tech media is pushing.

Also on another note, I'm looking at purchasing some more fans for my Corsair 200R to reduce the internal temperatures a bit.

If anyone has recommendations on the fans I should buy, please feel free to list them. Though I am partial towards Corsair because their fans actually *look* nice. (Unlike Noctua colours... ewww).

Right now I'm looking at whether to buy airflow or static pressure fans. Airflow fans would be good for the top of my case, because I could turn that into an exhaust, and static pressure ones would be good for the front intake due to the limited space for air to flow into the case itself via the front bezel.
Nothing wrong with my black Noctua fans. Could just go water on the GPU, your internet temps would decrease greatly.

-snip-
Nothing wrong with my black Noctua fans. Could just go water on the GPU, your internet temps would decrease greatly.

lel internet :p

Anyways, if I can get a bracket for an AIO that'll fit on my ASUS GTX 1070 blower card, I might consider swapping to water. But tbh, because my GPU is already an exhaust based card, I don't think putting it on water is going to affect my internal temps all that much.

Wish the Corsair 200R had more dust filters, but oh well. It's a shame the NZXT H440 kinda struggles with regards to enough airflow, because I LOVE how that case looks. Sadly, I can't get the blue accent version in Australia anymore.

My MetroVac DataVac has already paid itself off in compressed air, and then some, but it just means I have to actually use it to clear the built up dust out of the system lol.

Yea I posted that right after I woke up and I don't proofread after I wake up.

The build I did back in May with a 100r and a 1600 that guy actually upgraded to a 1070ti FE and his temps are fine with the stock fans. If you have an AIO on the CPU idk why you'd be having case temp problems. If that Asus card is a reference board the eVGA Hybrid cooler would work on it easy. With CPU and GPU exhausting heat out of the case there isn't much left to generate heat for internal temps besides the back of the GPU and motherboard VRMs which the stock fans would take care of easily.

With water airflow doesn't matter too much so you could technically use almost any case you want. Theoretically my current case is pretty terrible with airflow but under water I'm not having any problems.

As an aside, that build in the 100r the guy has a 240 rad in the front of the case blowing the heat in as well. The 2 stock fans are exhausting out the back and top. He had it here NYE and there wasn't much heat coming out of the case via the case fans. The other build I did is in a 200r and that guy is using the stock AMD fan with his 1600 and an eVGA 970. No case temp issues there either but neither are overclocked at all.

I don't have an AIO for anything as of yet, that may come later. Right now I'm just running the stock Ryzen 1600 cooler.

Well the 1070 does put out 100W or so more of heat than the dude with the 970, but you have a blower cooler. Are you sure the board doesn't have the fans set to low or something?

Back
Top Bottom