CPU Recommendations

Turns out I don't realllllly need the extra fans because I got my CPU Vcore voltage down to like 1.23v (I could go lower, but the standard operating voltage for this board is 1.23750V, and below that it's not guaranteed to POST, and I'm unsure if the board's POST safemode would kick in if I undervolted the CPU, though I do know it kicks in if the RAM timings cause a failure to POST). But would be nice to have exhaust fans in the top for 2 reasons.

1. Heat rises, and pushing air upwards would help that process,
2. The top of my case is entirely made of honeycomb grill. Which means, dust can come in there fairly easily. (no dust filters unfortunately). So exhaust fans will blow that dust away :D

Last edited:
Turns out I don't realllllly need the extra fans because I got my CPU Vcore voltage down to like 1.23v (I could go lower, but the standard operating voltage for this board is 1.23750V, and below that it's not guaranteed to POST, and I'm unsure if the board's POST safemode would kick in if I undervolted the CPU, though I do know it kicks in if the RAM timings cause a failure to POST). But would be nice to have exhaust fans in the top for 2 reasons.

1. Heat rises, and pushing air upwards would help that process,
2. The top of my case is entirely made of honeycomb grill. Which means, dust can come in there fairly easily. (no dust filters unfortunately). So exhaust fans will blow that dust away :D
More fans will just lead to more airflow which leads to more dust.

Managed to OC the 1600 to 3.7 GHz @ 1.33V. Haven't tried lowering the voltage since *technically* this OC still runs a bit hot during stress testing. However, even during long Adobe Premiere Pro encodes, it won't hit above 75. It runs cinebench with no issues, and it runs Prime95 with no issues also.

I did a benchmark Premiere Pro encode, and it passed that as well. General system operation also appears stable. Guess we'll use it and see what happens :)

Oh and by the way, PP is it worth buying a Corsair H100i so I can crank the OC to 3.8 or 3.9 GHz? (Considering it's $150 for the cooler lol)

Not to me personally, but I'm passed the point of OCing machines that don't need it unless I'm able to. Like I run my 7700k stock and I'm under water.

More fans will just lead to more airflow which leads to more dust.
That can be true, but using a positive pressure into the pc and using filters on the intake fans reduces dust by a wide margin. Of course your filters will get dirty but that's what they are for

That can be true, but using a positive pressure into the pc and using filters on the intake fans reduces dust by a wide margin. Of course your filters will get dirty but that's what they are for
And you're also not exhausting the heat defeating the purpose. There's no full proof way of keeping dust out, just part of the game and sticking to a balance between airflow and dust filters reducing static pressure.

Is it worth doing simply for the chip's longevity?
Reduced life of a CPU is minimal. A fully OC'd and properly cooled chip will far outlast it's worth of performance. I mean I could run my chip at 5.1GHz all day and mine on it 24/7 and by the time I'll start needing more voltage my kids will be in high school. My old Pentium 1 basically had a penny for a heatsink and it will still run it's overclocked speed that I put almost 20 years ago.

The only real factor that seems to be a benefit then is the noise factor. 2 120mm fans running at 1300 RPM is going to be a ****ton quieter than the stock fan running at 2500 RPM.

Yes it is true that you will run warmer with a positive static pressure inside the case, but you won't be sucking in dust into every nook and cranny and plugging up the cpu/gpu fans and heatsinks.
A balance is very good, but hard to achieve
Run a little warmer and stay cleaner or run cooler get dirty faster?
Suppose it'll be a personal choice

Most main boards now have good fan speed control, so you can now run your fans much slower and larger size if your case can do that. Not so unusual today to see cases running with a 200mm fan on the front or side, along with either 120 or 140 fans else where

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom