Cpu Load

Slacker

Slacking Guru
This might belong in hardware. My cpu is Intel i3 M370 2.40Ghz a dual core processor that acts like a quad core. When operating linux I notice my load gets up to 2 or 3 somtimes. I know why (running several Virtual machines) I am trying to understand if I have a load count of 4 or 2? The way load count was explained to me was the number of cores you have. Would the cpu load be 4 for me or 2?

4. There's only two cores but the way that they are threaded makes the computer think there is 4. Apparently you get better speed out of the cpu that way

Thanks for the reply guys.. but can I count those 2 cores as 4??? I am trying to determine if My load is halfway or full.

My linux box is headless so I do everything by putty, if you type "lscpu' it'll tell you.
My 2p xeon box says
CPUS: 24
Threads per core: 2
cores per socket: 6
CPU sockets: 2

So I have 6 real cores and each have 2 threads for 12 "cores" and there's 2 sockets for 24 CPUs

If you terminal command "top" it'll tell you your average load, and it'll be between 1 and 2 or 1 and 4 depending on your cpu count above.

If you have 4 CPUs then if top says the ave load is 2 it is 50% loaded.

Thanks for the reply guys.. but can I count those 2 cores as 4??? I am trying to determine if My load is halfway or full.

That's not how you would take into account CPU load.

CPU load is utilization by processes actively running and/or putting stress on the CPU, or making it do calculations.

You're talking about cores and hyperthreading, or virtual cores. You have 2 physical cores, with HyperThreading which splits each physical core into two, giving you 4 virtual cores available for threading processes.

Back
Top Bottom