95W TDP cooler for 84W TDP CPU?

Fartblossom

Solid State Member
Would a 95W TDP air cooler be sufficient for cooling a i7-4790 (84W) in a small case? Or should there be more headroom than that? I'm concerned that the fan will be running at high speed (noisy) all the time. Strictly a general purpose machine, no OC of course.

We can only assume (we know what that means) that the OP is using OEM parts. We have no idea what brand of pc he is using.
We all know Intel TDP numbers don't mean jack, that's why I asked what cooler because even Intel has 5 or 6 different stock coolers. Highly doubt we'll get anymore info though.

The cooler is this. The The PC is not an OEM or pre-built, it's put together by myself years ago and I'm upgrading it to keep it usable for some light gaming.

Well I'll be, yea it'll be fine.
I decided to go with something a bit beefier than 95W. But the skinny fan it comes with only runs at 2700 RPM max. So, I tested with Cinemabench.
I read that Cinebench R23 provides worse a case scenario for a given CPU. The cooler ran at full RPM and temps maxed at 75C on the hottest core.
Thanks to all of you. I appreciate the talk-thru.

Back
Top Bottom