Random Gaming News

I haven't played it, so you can take this or leave it, but I think it is really only roguelike in that it has procedurally generated, tile based dungeons. I don't like how so many reviewers use roguelike in the description of a game when it really isn't aside from one or two similarities.

I thought RLs also made it really easy to die. If not, I'll retract that statement,

I think that's why people start calling things "Rouge-lite" instead of "Rogue-like"

I've never heard that term before! What has it been applied to?

I thought RLs also made it really easy to die. If not, I'll retract that statement,
From the wiki:
A roguelike game is one belonging to a subgenre of role-playing video games characterized by a dungeon crawl through procedurally generated game levels, turn-based gameplay, tile-based graphics, and permanent death of the player-character. Most roguelikes are based on a high fantasy narrative, reflecting their influence from tabletop role playing games such as Dungeons & Dragons.
So I wouldn't say "easy to die" - just perma-death is a big factor; as well as the procedural generation.

I've never heard that term before! What has it been applied to?

Also from the above wiki:
More recently, with more powerful home computers and gaming systems, new variations of roguelikes incorporating other gameplay genres, thematic elements and graphical styles have become popular, typically retaining the notion of procedural generation and permanent death of the player-character. Indie games like Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space, Spelunky, The Binding of Isaac, FTL: Faster Than Light, and Rogue Legacy helped to establish the use of roguelike elements in other genres. These titles are sometimes labeled as "roguelike-like", "rogue-lite", or "procedural death labyrinths" to reflect the variation from titles which mimic the gameplay of traditional roguelikes more faithfully. Other games, like Diablo and UnReal World, key titles in the action role-playing and the survival game genres respectively, took inspiration from roguelikes.

I wasn't talking about you using it when describing Strafe. I think all of the articles I have read refer to it as roguelike. I think that is probably where you picked it up. Didn't mean to insult you.

No insult at all! I may have jumped to conclusions is all, or used the wrong terminology. I certainly don't want to perpetuate exaggerated claims. It's all good man :cool:

Back
Top Bottom