Xp To Vist File Sharing Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckmerc

Solid State Member
1st...thanks so much to all on this forum with my Vista computer build...it is awsome.

2nd - Old XP Machine file sharing to new Vista Machine
- A tech guy at my work who helped me build my PC took me through the set up for file sharing. I can see a shared folder on each computer.

On the XP machine...I can access/open the shared folder on my Vista computer. good to go there but...

On my Vista computer.... when I try to open the shared folder located on my XP machine (I see the XP maching folder and it shows a "hand" under the folder)....it starts to open on my Vista computer and after about 10 seconds...It errors out saying I can't access the files in this folder due to limited storage space on the server or I don't have permission rights.

I am hard wired to a router for both machines and I only have antivirus software on my XP maching. any ideas?

Vista Machine
- 2.66 i7 Quad
- 6 gig ram
- Vista
- GTX 285 VC

XP Machine
- 3.0G Single core CPU
- 1 gig ram
- XP Home SP2
-

Disable simple file sharing on XP (From Windows Explorer go to Tools > Folder Options >View Tab > scroll to bottom and uncheck Use Simple File Sharing)

Then open the share permissions of that folder (Right-click > Sharing and Security)

Then click on Permissions and give Everyone Full Control.

See if that works. If it does then you can add a different user and remove Everyone if you want.

Still can't access my XP files...I am at my wits end. When I view my network in vista ...it shows both my Vista computer and my XP machine linked. I

I click on my XP machine icon in Vista and it shows me the shared folders on XP..

Then, on my vista computer... I click on the shared folder that is located on my XP Machine and I get the following Open Folder error message..

"\\{XP Comp. Name}\{folder name} is not accessable. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

"Not enough server storage is available to process this command."

What the heck??

Resolved after much search...wow..this is deep. I am such a novice. below is the resolution..

Not enough server storage is available to process this command is a message that you can receive when you try to access a shared resource on a network. The Event ID: 2011 may also be written referring to the configuration parameter IRPStackSize. If the IRPStackSize is not present in the Registry the default value which may not be large enough for the server service to administer shared folders on some of the physical drives.

To solve this problem open the Registry and navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ lanmanserver \ parameters and check if the string IRPStackSize exists. If it does not exist create a new Dword with the name IRPStackSize.

The default value for this Dword is 18 and you should raise the value by adding 3 to it. The first value for IRPStackSize would be 21. Reboot your computer and see if that solved the problem. If you still get the error message add 3 again and reboot your computer again.

The maximum size for IRPStackSize is 50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom