The Food & Drink Thread

Re: What You've just eaten thread....

spicy spaghetti, can of tuna and one glass of unsweet tea at 6pm.

Heinz Tomato soup and baguette
topped off with a glass of Coca Cola

Some really iffy ham and vegetable soup, and a bit of cheese.

Had a two McRib combo last night.

I picked up a deep fat fryer today because i liked the look of southern cooking, like were Trotter lives (think). Most of the recipes i was interested in talked about frying, so i went and got one. It was a no name one, from the Currys Essential range (Currys is the shop name) and only cost £19.99 :p But it seems to work so :thumbsup:

Just brined some chicken breasts for an hour, coated them in egg wash -> flour, salt, pepper, paprika, chicken spice. Leave it for 15 minutes, then repeat again just before it goes in the fryer at 185C for 20minutes.

It's cookin' now.. i hope it turns out tasty.

I hate to tell ya, mate, but that's not fried chicken. At least not the kind we serve up at supper. You can probably make a decent sandwich out of those, though.

Most of our frying is done in a skillet. I use cast iron or stainless steel at my house.

I hate to tell ya, mate, but that's not fried chicken. At least not the kind we serve up at supper. You can probably make a decent sandwich out of those, though.

Most of our frying is done in a skillet. I use cast iron or stainless steel at my house.

Oh yeah, i know. It was the first time i used it so i found the most simple recipe i could find.
A cast iron skillet would be my preference too. But my parents worry that i will leave it on the hob and set the house on fire, an electric fryer is somewhat safer as it controls its own temperature - it's not ideal, but it's better than nothing. The frying is the important part.

Anyway the chicken was great, needs a bit of refining. First off i need to get me some better chicken (It wasn't particularly tender), and i need to figure out a better spice mixture.

I think come friday on my 'day off' from Uni, i'll find some proper southern recipes for frying meat.

I'm gonna try cooking those snickerdoodles trotter linked to lol, I'm **** hungry for some of those

Ate a lot of fish/crab over the last few days. Fried, steamed, BBQ'd. Brim, herring, whiting, flathead, flounder, blue manna crabs, and cobbler. Awesome stuff.

LOL! My wife and her mom have been hinting pretty hard that I need to make some more of them, too.

If it had a flour coating and was fried, then it's fried chicken. No different than having a deep fryer with veg oil or using a pan with veg oil.

Back
Top Bottom