Random Chit Chat

That's the thing though, the super slow mo feeling behind it makes it seem sluggish. You shouldn't feel like you're doing 20 when the game says you're doing 70 or 90, and at these "lower" speeds it all just seems too safe. I haven't driven in weather yet so I'll save opinion for that or off road.
Yeah, fair. To be honest I probably enjoyed the earlier slower races more because I didn't get super pissed off by spinning out on the final lap in a 700hp RWD car :ROFLMAO:

Wife was in a wreck today. First day on call, got off the phone with her as she was on her way home and I had to start a deployment. 5 minutes later another call so frantic I couldn't tell what was up. She had the baby, and I had to go up there and take him to Cooks downtown. Thankfully he's perfect, the carseat did it's job well. An hour later and you'd think nothing happened. She got hurt pretty bad, but only bruising from airbags and the seatbelt. From what I was told by different people, a dude tried crossing the road into the parking lot from the median. She was in the right lane slowing down because the light was red. A truck in the left lane stopped to let the guy through and he hit her in the driver side rear. Now idk how since the speed and impact would have been minimal, but I was told her car spun and the back end went over another car sitting there waiting to turn right. Driver side airbags deployed and the car is pretty beat up. All things considered that could have been way worse. She had a ton of people immediately help her after it happened, a teenager took pictures and video for her while they looked after the baby, and even called me. The fire department and EMT were barely any help and the police didn't even show up.

Fast forward to me getting home close to 9pm. Rushed home since the other kids were home and I knew a bad line of storms were coming. I knew it was particularly bad because of the lightning color and frequency. Storm goes over us and no big deal, 10:30 rolls around and she is brought home by a friend. We're talking about what happened and I decide to randomly look at my radar. 2 tornado warnings over where I grew up, ran downstairs and turned on velocity radar. Sure as shit there's one on the ground and I'm rushing to warn my friends, radar refreshes and there's another just north of it. I'm telling them this while they're saying hail is hitting and power goes out. Mind you both my boss and director of IT live 10 minutes south of where this is going on. Reports are coming in there's a lot of damage out there. Friend called me and thanked me for the warning as they had barely enough time to get to safety.

Sigh...what a day, and now for a nap because in 3 hours there's network maintenance I need to watch.

I'm reading that the next Nvidia RTX 4xxx series is gonna be up to 600W TDP. Surely not ? that's insane. Hard to believe they would go that high. Guess I will upgrade my PSU if that rumor starts to look solid later this year.

Yea that's the word on the street, and the new connector can handle it too.
That kinda peaked my interest. So I found this ...
In February 2022, Nvidia went through a huge data breach which is unfortunate and we do not condone such attacks/hacks. However, this information is already out there, so here’s what we managed to find related to RTX 4000.
https://www.gpumag.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4000-series/

Nobody knows anything for sure except Nvidia but it looks like a big jump from the 3xxx series

That kinda peaked my interest. So I found this ...

https://www.gpumag.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4000-series/

Nobody knows anything for sure except Nvidia but it looks like a big jump from the 3xxx series
I don't really understand the logic. They are going to a better and smaller process node which should allow some nice perf gains without increasing power usage. But instead they went to a smaller node and almost doubled power usage ? what ?

Though who am I kidding, if they sell an RTX 4090 with 66TFLOP of performance then ofcourse I will be purchasing it. I don't mind power draw so much, so long as thermals and noise are intact. Which at 600W is a big open question...

I don't really understand the logic. They are going to a better and smaller process node which should allow some nice perf gains without increasing power usage. But instead they went to a smaller node and almost doubled power usage ? what ?

Though who am I kidding, if they sell an RTX 4090 with 66TFLOP of performance then ofcourse I will be purchasing it. I don't mind power draw so much, so long as thermals and noise are intact. Which at 600W is a big open question...
Node changes are diminishing returns but with each architecture they do get more efficient. The problem is they are using that extra efficiency to pull out more power to shove the most performance in your face. If you look at the RTX A cards you'll see much lower TGP but with reduced performance compared to similar specs.

Honestly cooling has got so good that the cooler on my 3090ti actually keeps my card in the high 60s at 106% power. You just have to live with a big chungus cooler which I'm cool with.

Node changes are diminishing returns but with each architecture they do get more efficient. The problem is they are using that extra efficiency to pull out more power to shove the most performance in your face. If you look at the RTX A cards you'll see much lower TGP but with reduced performance compared to similar specs.

Honestly cooling has got so good that the cooler on my 3090ti actually keeps my card in the high 60s at 106% power. You just have to live with a big chungus cooler which I'm cool with.

Couldn't care less how big the card is to be honest, so long as it fits in my new case and doesn't sound like a jet engine. No glass side panel so i'll never see it anyway.

On the subject of my case, I love it so much. I've had quite a few cases, a Lian Li (sucked, the side panel didn't even sit properly), Phanteks Enthoo (nice but plasticy), Corsair 750D (nice but started vibrating after a couple years) etc. This is by far my favourite. It's the best made out of all the ones i've had, and I really like the thumbscrewless side panel access.

Back
Top Bottom