Random Chit Chat

It's even worse now because the status quo changed with dealerships and how they make their money. Now they want to lock you into their own financing and upsell extra bullshit. You have to carefully word things, you can't mention off the bat you'll pay cash, you basically need to finesse your way into the final cost then go get your loan from your bank while avoiding the sleeze squeezing you into upsold "services" they'll deny later. My wife didn't do any of that, and the sales lady was very freaked out by my demeanor the entire time. Her and the finance manager knew I knew what was going on and I sat there and let it happen. The two of them and the appraiser guy was trying to explain certain things to my wife when I finally spoke up and broke it down to her dumb style. It was that moment they definitely realized I knew 100% of what was going on, saw through their bullshit, and even asked if I wanted a job. I simply said I can do it but it wouldn't pay good enough and they were not very happy lol. Then later my wife said what, you're not a people person why would they ask that? To which I simply replied, because I know more than you give me credit for, their reaction proved it, and I can be a people person if it makes me money. Anybody can. I wouldn't have a 5 star rating if I treated my customers how I usually am telling them they're idiots for breaking things I said would break duh.

In any case, if you're sitting there wondering wtf, it's simple. I'm letting her learn the hard way. We have had many conversations the past year about her van and getting a new vehicle. I have repeatedly told her that her credit isn't high enough to not get absolutely ass fucked in interest (like she did with her van), that she wants too new of a vehicle and her wants are higher than her paycheck, that the baby is wrecking our wallets in child care and it's a dumb ass idea to even consider messing with things, that their vehicles at this place were too high priced for what she wanted (a lower payment), that we want to buy another house and that you absolutely cannot mess with your employment or credit before doing so, she had very little down, that I needed a new vehicle before she got one because my car will start rod knocking at any time, and I even showed her online in front of her face what the payments would be with THEIR calculator on their website. Friday we had one last convo over it and she was ignoring me so I said ok, let's go see what they will give you for the van and then let's see how quickly they can con you into a new car. Literally everything I said happened, she got less than her remaining loan amount on the van which was carried over (2 grand), she got fucked on interest (18.9%) because they ran Experian, her payments are now double what she was paying (710/m), her insurance went up as well, I explained to her how they conned her into thinking the higher payments will be better because she can refinance later and it'll be a lower principle when in reality she'll be covering 100% their in house finance interest, and then I showed her our updated finance sheets and how she now has more in bills than she makes. She was super pissed and was like how come you didn't say anything. I was like I did, for 8 months, and told you time and time again this is why I haven't purchased a vehicle for myself. This is also why I refused to take a tour at that childcare place you wanted that would be 1600 a month because I'm not gonna go broke myself over dumb decisions and idiocy. She then took a gander at my finance sheet and realized I am paying double what she is even with her old car payment and apologized for our last argument where she was telling me I needed to get a job and pull my own weight (this was in January). What she didn't think about at that time is that I managed to pay that amount she was looking at and keep our heads floating unemployed for a year straight AND managed to keep us going when my last "employer" fucked me in pay for 2 months. Oh and she was like well I can always take it back before 7 days are up. I said sure, but they already have your van so you would be locked into any vehicle they have on that lot for your approved loan rating so sit back and figure out how to pay that bill for 14 months and don't make any extraneous purchases because you are in the red. Needless to say, she learned her lesson the HARD way.

Am I dick? Sure. But she is one of those people who will not listen to anybody if she thinks she's right and she definitely doesn't listen to me because for the past 7 years now she's always thought what I said was "stupid" or didn't make sense to her so I must be wrong. Stubbornness runs in her family, and I've seen as they get older they grow out of it if they're with somebody who can talk sense into them. I've learned my form of compromise has to be severe to make an impact and in this case it favors me. Don't worry, there's more to it than I'm letting on that makes it make way more sense. Couple of small things like, it gives me more time to rebuild my credit, it gives me a year to be with my employer so I can get their housing discount, I don't have to move in the summer this summer which almost killed me in 2020, it gives me way more time to prepare a down for that house, gives me time to qualify the loan in my name instead (there's a reason which will be left unspoken), gives us an extra year to keep a roomie for extra income (she stays out of the house 70% of the week with her bf anyways so free money), and it gives these kids at least another year in these schools they like. It's my way of getting what I want underhanded because her mistake locks her down and she can't argue with it.

In other news, I can't believe VR has been out for like... 6 years now, and it's still such a headache to get a reliable experience like you can with monitor gaming. I enjoy the VR games, but I dread trying to actually play because it's such a shit show. Saw a cool mod for Half Life Alyx so thought i'd try it. Pulled out my Oculus Link cable for my Quest 2, and it's saying it's plugged into a USB 2.0 port. It isn't, and every other device I have uses USB 3.0 speeds no problem. Okay so I will try Air Link over my WiFi.. well it's stuttering all over the place even though I have a pretty high performing Netgear Orbi setup with the main router and access point literally in my room and 2 meters away from my Quest 2. But I noticed for some reason it's decided to connect to 2.4Ghz, so I reconnect and it gets onto the 5Ghz network. So now the air link stuttering has mainly disappeared, but now Half Life Alyx itself has shit FPS and is reprojecting all over the place. No idea why, I played the game super smooth on high settings back when I had an RTX 2070.

So I give up for now. It's always like this. With every HMD i've ever owned. There is always something that won't work... maybe you will get no headset audio and it'll just come out your speakers, maybe the Mic will be muted, maybe the game will launch in Steam VR but won't actually appear in your headset, or maybe you'll just get crappy performance. It's so exhausting.

The actual Quest 2 works fine in it's intended all in one mode. It's just PC VR that is unreliable as hell. Shame mobile VR games generally suck...

That's what I've been saying since 2016. Perpetual state of beta.

Yup. And I don't see it getting better until PCVR is big enough that enough people complain. I'm looking forward to Apples AR/VR headset just because it will finally be a good user experience. I am sure there will be the usual Apple bullshit. But their user experience is usually great, and things work pretty reliably. E.g. AirPods compared to oldschool bluetooth pairing process. I hope they inject that sort of finesse into their AR headset. Problem is it's still going to be a mobile unit, and sure they have some great SoC's and it'll probably be an M2 chip of some sort, but it's still not going to deliver PC level graphical games.

PSVR2 is probably gonna be the way forward if you want a reliable quality experience with PC level graphics. So I guess i'll buy that.

Apple's is vapor currently, there have been rumors about it how long now? There is just nothing compelling enough to make me want to deal with the hassle of VR anymore.

Apple's is vapor currently, there have been rumors about it how long now? There is just nothing compelling enough to make me want to deal with the hassle of VR anymore.

They've been working on it for ages but reliable asian supply chain sources say it's passed design verification stage and might ready late this year or first half of next year. Tim Cook keeps saying AR is amazing and they keep buying AR/VR companies left right and center, so it's clear they have big plans. I agree the games and such arn't really very compelling. Half Life Alyx was great but once you've played it there isn't a tonne else, though to be honest I really want a high res headset with wide FOV for DCS. The VR headset of my dreams doesn't exist yet, but Meta's Cambria and Apple's one sounds like it might be close if the leaks are true. Problem is DCS runs at 36fps with Quest 2 on my PC at low medium settings. It's okay because it gets reprojected back to 72fps and is quite smooth. But the Cambria headset releasing later this year will be 2x the pixel count of Quest 2. Hopefully DCS has had it's DX12 and performance patch they keep teasing by then, otherwise it's gonna get like 10fps in VR.

That'll probably never be fixed actually. The odd thing is for 3 decades flight simulators have always been notorious for poor performance due to CPU bottleneck. I could put money on a 1.5-2x increase in performance for Microsoft Flight Simulator if they ran the AI on Tensor cores instead of the CPU.

That'll probably never be fixed actually. The odd thing is for 3 decades flight simulators have always been notorious for poor performance due to CPU bottleneck. I could put money on a 1.5-2x increase in performance for Microsoft Flight Simulator if they ran the AI on Tensor cores instead of the CPU.
Yeah true... man I just wanna live in the future where everything runs at 16K 240FPS lol

Okay i'm gonna change subject again. Do you know what is reccomended in terms of using an SSD nowadays ? when I built my last PC people were buying small SSD's for their C:\ drive to put Windows on and then have seperate storage SSD drives for games and shit. But now I see people saying that's not reccomended anymore and to just buy a big SSD and install everything onto your C:\ drive like in the old days ?‍♂️

Ah man I wish I cared about this stuff enough to keep on top of it all like I did 5 or 10 years ago. Now I just want the fastest and best components and then to forget about it all for a few years. :sleep:

Yeah true... man I just wanna live in the future where everything runs at 16K 240FPS lol

Okay i'm gonna change subject again. Do you know what is reccomended in terms of using an SSD nowadays ? when I built my last PC people were buying small SSD's for their C:\ drive to put Windows on and then have seperate storage SSD drives for games and shit. But now I see people saying that's not reccomended anymore and to just buy a big SSD and install everything onto your C:\ drive like in the old days ?‍♂️

Ah man I wish I cared about this stuff enough to keep on top of it all like I did 5 or 10 years ago. Now I just want the fastest and best components and then to forget about it all for a few years. :sleep:
Not to sound elitist, but that was only a thing because SSDs were expensive. People used an SSD as a boot and programs drive and kept games on a bigger drive but since 1TB drives have been around the 100 dollar mark for a few years now I've been telling everybody to ditch HDDs altogether unless it's needed for large footage, backups, media, etc. I even have my kids on all SSD instead of HDDs.

Not to sound elitist, but that was only a thing because SSDs were expensive. People used an SSD as a boot and programs drive and kept games on a bigger drive but since 1TB drives have been around the 100 dollar mark for a few years now I've been telling everybody to ditch HDDs altogether unless it's needed for large footage, backups, media, etc. I even have my kids on all SSD instead of HDDs.

Makes sense. I couldn't figure out a logical reason for it. Guess that's what I do then when I upgrade my CPU/Mobo/SSD at some point this year. Component prices are sick though...

Back
Top Bottom