Potentially the longest thread in history...

My motherboard got delivered 20 minutes ago so there's 400 bucks sitting on my porch and I can't go get it.

Do you live in a nice area where it will be okay ?

The village I live in is full of rich old people lol. We went on holiday for a week and mum had left her house and carkeys in the front door key slot for the entire week we were away. We have no driveway so everyone that walked by could've seen. The car was not stolen and the house was not burgled :lol:

I do but kids are **** heads.

Fair.

To change topic, I am looking at benchmarks of the i9 9880h in my MBP vs my AMD 2700X.

"in theory" it looks like the 9880h is a bit faster, but in reality in sustained workloads it is obviously going to be a good bit slower due to throttling. From the reviews i've seen the 9880h will only sustain about 2.7 to 2.9ghz for more sustained workloads. I knew this before I bought it and don't really care, but I do find it a bit frustrating knowing that if Apple could have just added an extra 5mm to the chassis thickness and dedicated that room to bigger fans and more copper heatsink space, they probably could achieve quite a bit better than 2.7-2.9Ghz.

I am a fan of pretty designed things myself, and I do support Apple striking a middle ground between form and function, but I can't really agree that they get it right with the Macbook. I agree with their form/function decisions on iPhones and iPads, they are super sleek but still best in class performance. The MacBook isn't. Would adding 5mm to the MBP chassis really make it "ugly" ? I don't think so.

Still speaking of ****ty things, the 2080 super is a damn disappointment 100%.

I hadn't checked them out yet so I did le google. It seems kind of pointless, like 5% faster than 2080 founders ? I get why they did it, noone is gonna stump up for a 2080Ti if it comes too close performance wise.

Last edited by a moderator:
They could have made it a cut down TU102 chip and it still wouldn't stump 2080ti sales....because nobody is buying them. Just like 2080ti super vs RTX Titan, like nobody is buying them. I haven't seen a single enthusiast or reseller with an RTX Titan in their machine. The prices are just too ridiculous and now nobody will want 2080S when the 2080s will sell around 500...which they were supposed to be priced at MSRP. If they made a 2080ti Super priced at 1200 and priced the 2080ti at 800 I guarantee they would sell more. People like me want something like that but refuse to pay 1200 for a ti card. I'm really hoping Arturus comes out swinging in the high end like Navi did in the midrange and Zen 2 did because if Nvidia prices the 3000 series like this AMD will have a grand slam. A 5700XT can clock to 2.2Ghz on water and still be cheaper than 2080S with a water block while maintaining same performance. If Arcturus next year is 2080ti level performance for a 700 dollar price tag I'll hop on it. A 2080ti stock is about 5-10% less give or take performance than my setup in full scale mode but for games that refuse SLI it's a good 35%+ with half the power draw. So next year 35%+ at 600-700 bucks would be a decent upgrade from *cough* 3 year old cards (this is also me saying this with access to 3 2080s that I could temp use in my machine the duration I'm in the iLab that would technically be better than my current setup). Then I can use one of those swanky vertical GPU mounts in my Raidmax case.

Oh btw forgot to mention, I 3D printed some pieces to modify my old 2003 Raidmax. Not this weekend but the next I'll be going outside with a Dremel to start cutting and test fitting rads/setups. Hope to achieve some level of cable management holes in the 03esk motherboard tray, put some USB 3 ports in the front, and modify some 120mm mounts in it. With the AMD chip and a single card I'm going for a slim single 360 water setup. All that in a package smaller than my current Enthoo Pro M while being 16 years old haha. :lol:

They could have made it a cut down TU102 chip and it still wouldn't stump 2080ti sales....because nobody is buying them. Just like 2080ti super vs RTX Titan, like nobody is buying them. I haven't seen a single enthusiast or reseller with an RTX Titan in their machine. The prices are just too ridiculous and now nobody will want 2080S when the 2080s will sell around 500...which they were supposed to be priced at MSRP. If they made a 2080ti Super priced at 1200 and priced the 2080ti at 800 I guarantee they would sell more. People like me want something like that but refuse to pay 1200 for a ti card. I'm really hoping Arturus comes out swinging in the high end like Navi did in the midrange and Zen 2 did because if Nvidia prices the 3000 series like this AMD will have a grand slam. A 5700XT can clock to 2.2Ghz on water and still be cheaper than 2080S with a water block while maintaining same performance. If Arcturus next year is 2080ti level performance for a 700 dollar price tag I'll hop on it. A 2080ti stock is about 5-10% less give or take performance than my setup in full scale mode but for games that refuse SLI it's a good 35%+ with half the power draw. So next year 35%+ at 600-700 bucks would be a decent upgrade from *cough* 3 year old cards (this is also me saying this with access to 3 2080s that I could temp use in my machine the duration I'm in the iLab that would technically be better than my current setup). Then I can use one of those swanky vertical GPU mounts in my Raidmax case.

Oh btw forgot to mention, I 3D printed some pieces to modify my old 2003 Raidmax. Not this weekend but the next I'll be going outside with a Dremel to start cutting and test fitting rads/setups. Hope to achieve some level of cable management holes in the 03esk motherboard tray, put some USB 3 ports in the front, and modify some 120mm mounts in it. With the AMD chip and a single card I'm going for a slim single 360 water setup. All that in a package smaller than my current Enthoo Pro M while being 16 years old haha. :lol:

If something better than a 2080Ti comes out next year, I will also buy it.

Oh wait... no, I will be stuck with Vega 20 :lol: I will be relying on Stadia if I get the urge to play any non-mac games.

Prelim testing last night with the meter. Single card games are hovering around 570W while SLI games almost 900W and that's only at 4.4GHz. Will do more at 5GHz. Desktop idle wattage at 4.4 is 205 and when I do anything shoots over 300. Kinda ridiculous.

Wtf, I think my iPhone is ded.

It suddenly went super choppy, like 10 or 20fps. Restarted my phone and it was fine, 30 seconds later it did it again. Rebooted again and same thing. Hopefully just a wipe and reset fixes it :\

:cry:

Back
Top Bottom