Potentially the longest thread in history...

THANK YOU. I'd always wondered wtf a 'klick' was. Damn you, Stargate.

The topic of UK and imperial/metric; we're somewhat of an exception. We use metric for some things and imperial for others. I tend to use metric for most stuff - typically weight and short distances (grams/kilos, mm and cm) - and imperial for long distances (miles). I barely have the slightest clue how much a pound (in weight) is. Could be anything between a small paperback book and a six-pinter of milk.

On-off-topic, lulz
Ofcom maps out what 'psychics' are allowed to do on TV ? The Register
And all this time Soul is bashing on us Americans for not using the Metric system, yet I knew this.

If I had the choice I would've gone for eagle talons or cat ears, but to each their own I guess.

Our coins are better than your coins.

386704_460s.jpg

Thats awesome I never knew that.

Ours works pretty good:

american-coins.jpg

From L to R: Penny )one cent), nickel (five cents), dime (ten cents), quarter (quarter dollar, 25 cents), half dollar (50 cents), Susan B. Anthony dollar (women's sufferage leader), Sacajawea dollar (native American woman who helped Lewis and Clark [early American explorers]).

The dollar coins (the two on the right) have never taken off, but then they are almost the same size as a quarter (quarter dollar, middle coin) so you can't readily distinguish them in your pocket. I am hoping that, one day before my life is over, that we have viable one and five dollar coins... but I am not going to hold my breath.

It's odd the dollar coin never took off over there. £1 coins are very common over here and you can't get by without them.

they have Jedi as their religion[/URL].
It's an urban myth, and is in fact pointed out in the intro to that article :p

"To date, no country has adopted or legally decreed "Jedi" or "Jediism" as an "official" religion."

Back
Top Bottom