older games question

Another option is to use a virtual machine and have XP SP3 installed, but might not be as easy as the option presented here.
Yes, but only if this criteria is met.
1. the game does not require 3d hardware or acceleration
2. it doesn't matter if there may be some input lag
3. your machine has enough resources to support the host and VM.

If you pass 2 and 3 but not 1 you would be better off running 98se in PCem.

Oh ok.

Ill try the option mentioned earlier first.

Now to find a way to connect a 5 1/4" drive to a computer without a floppy connector.

First I thought you meant 16-bit consoles not 16-bit executable x86 games.

I'm afraid such old games can't just run because of that, but also because of how they were made and how the CPU's they were made to run on were made. I don't remember the details, but many of those old games run faster the faster the CPU runs. I think that's called real time. I remember a game called ToonStruck had a bug running on CPU's faster than 486 and there were never a patch for it. Some puzzle completely broke and left me struck... I mean stuck. Only later with Dos emulation with fixes I could go past that point.

I had to resort to emulation. Right now I'm preparing an emulation box with an all-in-one classic systems that includes a Dos section. Just today I finished one revision with a section for all classic Mortal Kombat games and made a preview for a friend. Here, have a look:
It was a quick preview to show the MK section so I went fast thru the menus.

In the Dos menu right now I only have Commander Keen 5, Black Throne, Hocus Pocus and Gods. They run on DosBox.

One game I have called Wolfpack worked fine in windows 95 but in windows 98 and later it would sometimes be fast, right or slow upon startup and you never knew what it would be.

Back
Top Bottom