Is it safe to DISABLE secure boot option

madhu

Solid State Member
Hello sir,
I wanted to have windows 8 in my pc and i had run windows upgrade assistant to check the compatibility issues. Then is says secure boot won't allows in windows 8. so, please Guide whether to disable it safe or not and also provide necessary steps to do so. Thank you in advance for every body's reply.

It's perfectly fine to disable secure boot. It's a anti-piracy measure that microsoft implemented (copying apple) to make sure the computer only boots a GENUINE copy of windows. People have to disable it to install Linux as well. As far as how to do it, it has to be done within your system's BIOS (which depends on what motherboard you have).

If you install Windows 8 on a system which does not support UEFI and thus does not support Secure Boot, the installation will automatically install without Secure Boot. The function of Secure Boot is to prevent unauthorized boot files from launching upon boot of the system to prevent Bootkit and Rootkit type malware infections, a video with an explanation of what it does and how it works can be found here from the Springboard Series on TechNet.

The message you are receiving is simply informing you that your system does not support UEFI and therefore cannot utilize the Secure Boot feature. You should have no issues installing or utilizing a BIOS based system.

Brandon
Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro
The Springboard Series on TechNet

Back
Top Bottom