NVME drive boot question

ikonix360

In Runtime
I just installed a NVME drive in my 10 year old PC using a PCI-E X4 adapter. According to Crystal Disk Mark 8 the NVME drive is quite a bit faster than the SATA SSD.

Windows recognizes the drive fine, but won't boot to it which I expected to be the case.

However I did find where I can create a bootloader on a thumb drive with an NVME driver on it and boot to the NVME disk.

I tried Clover as that's the first bootloader I found and I used Boot Disk Utility.

That didn't work so good. Probably because that's moreso meant for a Mac and mine is Windows.

What bootloader will work for a Windows compatible computer?

Also the original SATA SSD I want to use as a fully functional backup of the main drive so that if the NVME drive messes up I can use the SATA drive and boot right up by selecting it in the bootloader then repair it or simply re-clone the SATA drive to it using Mini Tool Partition Wizard. What software would I need for that?

If I can get this working I have a second identical PC which I use for streaming that I want to do the same thing to.

kalju

In Runtime
Even if you get this NVM to work, it won't run faster than a regular SSD. It only works faster if your computer is specifically built to use the NVMe drive.
Also, regular SSD will never run at the speed specified in the factory specifications if you are using it with an old SATA computer designed to run on a SATA HDD.
Of course, it is true that each SSD is always many times faster than the same HDD.
So there is no point in trying to install NVMe instead of the old HDD, especially if you are using an adapter.

ikonix360

In Runtime
I ran a test Friday and it seems like it's faster by a good bit.

The top part of the photo is the SATA SSD.
The bottom part of the photo is the NVME SSD.

Screenshot_20220515-102241_Outlook.jpg

So unless I'm interpreting it wrong the drive is indeed much faster. Also when I installed the manufacturer's driver the speed of the NVME drive increased a bit more.

ikonix360

In Runtime
I found a bootloader that will boot UEFI so I'm using MiniTool Partition Wizard to migrate the OS to the NVME drive and selected the GPT option so that the disk is made properly.

If I can get it to boot I'll see how fast it is and if it seems like things load faster then I'll consider it a success.

EDIT:

Am typing this from the PC booted from the NVME drive.

Will load Fortnite to see if it loads faster.

EDIT:

I got very good news.

I used to have issues with Fortnite dropping to real low FPS due to textures loading and it usually lasted a minute or several.

Now the low FPS only lasts for a few seconds if that. So I'm seeing a lot faster load times.

EDIT:

Another reason for a full backup to the SATA drive is if something should fail with the bootloader or NVME drive I can still boot to the SATA drive without losing any data. I'm thinking only the Windows partition needs backing up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom