Internet Causing Serious Comp Issues ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan4katie

Beta member
Hi everyone

just wondering if someone could clear something up, my girlfriend is having problems with her internet at home, ive been round her house tryed to have a play about with settings and such.

well the internet has been crap since friday afternoon, speeds dropping from 18mb to 4mb and have no rose since. the internet is very slow there is a alot of packet loss the same for the other users using her network in the house.

i contacted virgin media about the issue they did a scan on the computer and said spyware, well i know that was wrong because i had just formatted her computer and put everything back in the only website we had visited was ebay.co.uk before they told us spyware.

so i explained to them it cant be spyware as ive just done a fresh install of windows vista, they turned round and said ok then you need a new modem she received her new modem saturday morning, set it all up internet was fine for about 2 hours then went back to the crappy state of 4mb download and 85 upload.

virgin refuse to send a technician out as they said they cant really see a problem from there end and they've done the best they can

CAN INTERNET CAUSE PROBLEMS FOR THE USER, USING THE COMPUTER IF THEY ARE NOT BROWSING, ive noticed her mouse is horrible to use also really choppy and hard to drag over the screen, computers only a year old and has high spec hardware and the latest secruity updates from windows. but when waiting for a webpage to load up you get the little green animated circle to say something is busy.

thanks for reading ;)

Well that depends. I've ran into situations and have had other run into situations where the Virus Scanners are actively scanning programs in the background. NOD32 was treating an application I had as a web browser and it would kill my computers performance, I thought it was quite strange. When I pinged out it would be like 1000ms pings. Though I let it through NOD32, and things worked just fine.

Unfortunately, I would put my trust in what the Virgin Techs tell you because they have the tools to be able to tell if the connection you have on their equipment is solid. I'm not certain with Fiber Connections, but I imagine it works similar to DSL... With your packet loss do you notice you lose sync at all? If you ping google.com over and over again does it drop some packets?

seems to be alot of packet loss from google.co.uk and google.com ive also tryed turning firewall off AVG.

still same problem i just think virgin are taking the mick lately, i think a new cable needs fitting

Packet loss usually occurs due to bad sync. If it was a firewall or something effecting it normally you'd run into really high ping's. Does your connection require special jacks/cables? If not you could always try hooking the modem up to alternative jacks... if that doesn't work, and if it runs off a phone line or if thats a box outside where the wires are running to you could always by pass any inside wiring and go directly to the box, maybe a laptop and ping from there...

The techs should be able to to "segment ping" their location and see if the signals solid from their end. Also, they should be able to "end ping" and see if you come up with any packet loss from your end. In either event if thats the case it's either not the issue, or they aren't telling you something.

Try pinging the modem from one of the pc's. If the results show low latency, you can rule out the pc's and the connections to the modem.

I'd say the most likely problem is with the ISP. The fact that all the computers on the network are experiencing problems tends to suggest the problem is with either the modem or ISP, and you just got the modem replaced. Make sure you double check the modem is setup correctly though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom