Ethernet switch

ikonix360

Daemon Poster
Do they make an ethernet switch that is powered by power over ethernet and that can supply power to one power over ethernet Wi-Fi extender connected to the switch?

The sound booth only has what is needed for streaming and slides which is on a battery backup that lasts an estimated 17 minutes withy everything on. The rest of the sound system is in a closet behind the stage and has no battery backup because it's not necessary or reasonably practical to do so.

There is an ethernet switch in the booth on the battery backup. There's also an ethernet switch at the front of the sanctuary on a second story wall that is powered by a nearby outlet and a power over ethernet Wi-Fi extender connects there.

The modem and router is in the church office and because of the newer and old construction there had to be fire protection between both buildings and we only pulled one ethernet cable through.

We want to put the router and modem on a battery backup so that when the power blinks out we do not lose internet. The first ethernet switch is the weak link as no battery backup can be put where it is located.

At work today I thought about it and wondered about the power over ethernet powered switch.

An very brief amazon search only showed power over ethernet switches that have a power supply which plugs into the wall.

Maybe I should rephrase my question.

Are there any ethernet switches that run on 48Vdc through a power over ethernet power injector that have the ability to have at least one port pass through the 48Vdc to power a power over ethernet Wi-Fi extender.

Yup. You'll need some form of gateway/controller running their software. This could be in the form of their software running on a spare machine somewhere on the network but if you use the software you still need a gateway/router to handle NAT/firewall/WAN functions. That then needs to go to one of their POE switches which can be anywhere down the chain. Your cameras/APs/etc all would plug into this switch in some form or a smaller POE switch with passthrough down the line.

So for instance, the cheap way would be:
Modem -> 3rd party router -> core POE switch -> one wire through wall situation -> POE switch with passthrough.
^-> machine hosting software in mainline network any APs anywhere connected to POE capable ports.
or
Modem -> UDM (example) -> core POE switch -> POE switch with passthrough
^-> APs anywhere on POE capable port.

Oh ok don't think I'll be going that route then.

Would be much easier to leave it as is or possibly use 18650 cells for the required voltage and a charge controller for them. That could be small enough to mount right on the wall next to the ethernet switch then I'd just need one power supply for the charge controller.

Dayton Audio makes a nice board that takes 18650 cells and has all the necessary charge and protection circuitry.

The ethernet switch takes 5 volts .7A max so for that I could use a 5 volt power bank find a cable that goes from USB to what the switch requires then use a USB charging brick to keep the power bank charged.

I don't need much run time. No more than 20 minutes (what the battery backup that runs the stuff in the sound booth can do) will be fine.

This is moreso for momentary power outages that are just long enough to cause the switch and Wi-Fi extender to power off.

The modem and router will be on its own battery backup.

The ultimate purpose is that Facebook will kill the stream if it doesn't detect any data within a certain time and that time is less than what it would take for the modem to come up far as I know.

EDIT:

The power over ethernet injector is harder as it has a 48 volt input.

I suppose that a boost converter that runs on 5 volts and puts out 48 volts would work for that.

Last edited:
Well the 5 volts is easy, however the 48 volts is not.

I found a proper boost converter for usage with power over ethernet, but powering it is the issue. I need to figure a way to measure the current of the POE Wi-Fi adapter so I know what current the boost converter will draw as that determines if a 5 volt power bank will or will not work.

I can get a 12 volt power bank which has a USB port, but the input from the charger is also the 12 volt output. The website says it can power a 12 volt device and charge the battery at the same time and they include a splitter lead for the power brick.

EDIT:

So I'm looking at this for the power bank

https://www.amazon.com/TalentCell-Rechargeable-12000mAh-Multi-led-indicator/dp/B00ME3ZH7C/ref=sr_1_1?crid=175NABZ8IQ3XO&keywords=talentcell+rechargeable+12v&qid=1681065028&sprefix=talentcell,aps,97&sr=8-1

and this for the voltage converter

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Silvertel/Ag7200?qs=OlC7AqGiEDkYk2DJmVBe2Q==

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/...20W-Isolated-57V-DC-DC-Boost-Conv-1804334.pdf

EDIT:

Just found this power bank which might work better.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Back...h/dp/B07W8MCBMS/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3C9H32DSX60QE

Last edited:
Yes, there are Ethernet switches that can be powered by Power over Ethernet (PoE) and can supply power to connected devices like a PoE Wi-Fi extender. These switches are commonly known as PoE switches. They receive power through the Ethernet cable from a PoE-enabled network switch or injector, eliminating the need for a separate power supply.
When searching for PoE switches on Amazon or other platforms, try using keywords such as "PoE switch," "Power over Ethernet switch," or "PoE network switch" to find suitable options. Make sure to check the specifications and product descriptions to confirm that the switch supports both PoE and the required power output to supply the connected PoE Wi-Fi extender.

Back
Top Bottom