Ethernet switch

As long as the wattage doesn't exceed 60W, and your single injector can power it all. Most POE+ injectors are 30W tops for the single port. There are POE++ injectors that'll do 60W but this switch is only POE+ with a single input port.

Ok thanks.

To be sure that POE switch was actually powered by POE, I went to the company's website and they have some nice stuff. I didn't do more than glance, but I saw one that mounts like the POE switch that is a dual USB charging port.

What would be nice is if someone made a configurable POE powered supply that could power the various things found in a media booth that use an individual power supply as that would eliminate several outlets being taken up by power supplies.

Ok thanks.

To be sure that POE switch was actually powered by POE, I went to the company's website and they have some nice stuff. I didn't do more than glance, but I saw one that mounts like the POE switch that is a dual USB charging port.

What would be nice is if someone made a configurable POE powered supply that could power the various things found in a media booth that use an individual power supply as that would eliminate several outlets being taken up by power supplies.
That is what POE switches are for, to power individual devices without the need for injectors.

I know that.

What I meant was something that can connect to a POE port and power something that does not connect to the ethernet and has it's own power supply external to the device such as a USB sound card, a camera controller, a hearing assistance transmitter ETC...

That alone would free up at least 7 power outlets in the media booth at the church I go to.

Yes, there are Power over Ethernet (PoE) switches available that can be powered by PoE and also supply power to PoE-enabled devices like Wi-Fi extenders. These switches are commonly referred to as "PoE-powered switches" or "PoE pass-through switches."
With a PoE-powered switch, you can use a single Ethernet cable to both power the switch itself and provide power to connected PoE devices. This setup eliminates the need for a separate power supply for the switch and reduces cable clutter.

We had a recent lightning strike and I was going to go with the power over ethernet switch, but I had a recent experience with a Wi-Fi mesh system when I got one bundled with my cable modem when I replaced it and I really like it.

So that's what in going to do as I can put the main at the router and a satellite at the mixer and a satellite in the booth.

That way the only ethernet connections are from the mixer to the satellite and the two PCs in the booth to the other satellite.

That will minimize damage due to a future strike.

We had a recent lightning strike and I was going to go with the power over ethernet switch, but I had a recent experience with a Wi-Fi mesh system when I got one bundled with my cable modem when I replaced it and I really like it.

So that's what in going to do as I can put the main at the router and a satellite at the mixer and a satellite in the booth.

That way the only ethernet connections are from the mixer to the satellite and the two PCs in the booth to the other satellite.

That will minimize damage due to a future strike.
If the building has a surge any component connected to the electrical can still get blasted, and the components of wifi still need power.
Any of these items should be on a UPS anyways which would negate a lightning strike surge whether wifi or PoE.

If you're going mesh, make sure it's tri-band. Otherwise the satellites will just be hogging bandwidth from the main stream.

Back
Top Bottom