Install issue

chara33

Daemon Poster
Hi, I used gparted live to put 2 partitions on 1 hard drive. I gave them both 100GB of space and made them both Primary and selected ntfs. I named the 1st one windows 7 home premium and the other windows 8 pro.

The windows 7 installed without issues. When I went to install win 8 pro it started to install ok until I selected the partition I created for it would not work. It gave me the following message:

"windows can't be installed to this disk. The selected disk an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, windows can only be installed to GPT disks".

What am I doing wrong and how can I fix it?

thx

Hmm, assuming two partitions are both formatted as NTFS, it's odd that Windows 8 would say the second partition is an MBR partition. Are there 3 partitions on your hard drive? Have both partitions been formatted as NTFS already? I need a little more info about your hard drive to give a better answer.

It's quite possible that you haven't set the type of partition correctly, but that is only a hypothesis.

Last edited:
Hmm, assuming two partitions are both formatted as NTFS, it's odd that Windows 8 would say the second partition is an MBR partition. Are there 3 partitions on your hard drive? Have both partitions been formatted as NTFS already? I need a little more info about your hard drive to give a better answer.

It's quite possible that you haven't set the type of partition correctly, but that is only a hypothesis.

Like I said there are 2 partitions that I set up as I said. 300gb or a little less is unallocated. They are both set up as NTFS and formatted. Should the win 8 partition been labeled EXTENDED?

Any ideas?

Like I said there are 2 partitions that I set up as I said. 300gb or a little less is unallocated. They are both set up as NTFS and formatted. Should the win 8 partition been labeled EXTENDED?

Any ideas?

Only a guess, but could something like this be any effect to the partition below?

Code:
sudo fdisk /dev/sda1

Code:
Press l and enter to see the types of partition you can have.

You'll see something like this:

Ad9Wj3D.jpg

I think you could repair or delete the original MBR partition and rebuild new MBR partition via Recovery Console. I'll copy and paste from GParted FAQ to get answer to you faster this way.

The following commands are entered at the command line when using the Recovery Console from the Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation disk.

To repair the Master Boot Record of the boot disk:
bootrec /fixmbr

To write a new partition boot sector to the system partition:
bootrec /fixboot

To rebuild the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store:
bootrec /rebuildbcd

I hope this helps.

EDITTED: I asked my friend for more info on this, so he mentioned that it might be better overall to start over from beginning and make 2x of 100mb partitions as MBR for two OSes and then dedicate remaining halves of the hard drive space to each OS. Disk Utility can do this.

Last edited:
Why not just disable UEFI (Secure Boot) in BIOS? Should allow you to install multiple OS's.

i was told my chipset doesnt support dual boot. Could that be true?

Disable UEFI, i was told "Disable the firmware on the motherboard? I don't see the point, but if you smash the motherboard that would certainly "disable" it."

Any ideas guys????

i was told my chipset doesnt support dual boot. Could that be true?

Disable UEFI, i was told "Disable the firmware on the motherboard? I don't see the point, but if you smash the motherboard that would certainly "disable" it."

Any ideas guys????

Huh?

UEFI is Secure Boot functionality.

This enabled your system to run more than 1 OS. UEFI was implemented as a security measure, but can be manually disabled to allow other OS's to be installed (i.e. bootloader rewritten).

I just told you what to do: disable UEFI (or Secure Boot... different BIOS's call it one or the other usually) and you should be able to install another OS.

Back
Top Bottom