Game hunters general reading list

ok to our resident comic book men. I need advice im going to read the frank Miller Batman books. But i need a good X men book preferably one I already know the stories of or am at least familiar with the charters. Would the Dark Phoenix saga be a good place to start or how can I find the Weapon X stories

im going to let pucket handle this but i will say and trade paperback you can find of astonishing xmen should be great i was also a fan of uncanny xforce

As far as Miller Batman goes, just read Year One and Dark Knight Returns.

X-Men ... sigh. There's a few ways to do this. The cheapest is grabbing the X-Men phone books (the Essential series) but they're on crappy paper and there's no color.

You could pick up the omnibus of the original X-Men which runs $100 or so but is huge (around 1k pages IIRC). You could grab any of the Claremont omnibus editions (around the same price), but some knowledge of X-Men comics/history helps when reading them.

To me, what it ultimately boils down to is what you want in an X-Men book and how much you know about X-Men continuity and characters already, and how much confusion you're willing to tolerate (i.e. do you care how certain characters started dating, or are you willing to simply accept that they are?).

Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men (and let's be specific about the writer Borst, because the stuff after Joss wasn't as awesome) is fantastic.

Grant Morrison's run on X-Men (New X-Men IIRC) was great.

I'd steer away from more current X-Men titles because there are a fair number and the writing is occasionally dull/convoluted, and the most enjoyable one for me is Wolverine And The X-Men, but it's much more in the vein of Wolverine running the school and the hijinks and hilarity (and action and conspiracies and such) that result.

So - without knowing more, the only two X-Men books I can recommend without really hesitating are Whedon and Morrison's work, but Morrison's work requires a bit more knowledge of the X-Men world than Whedon's does.

Clear as mud? Good. And see how I did this without really giving out any spoilers? ;)

***EDIT***

Don't forget http://www.instocktrades.com/default.aspx - I looked up one of the Claremont/Lee omnibus editions and it was discounted 42% so you're only paying $72 and change instead of $150.

Last edited:
I may buy one of those big ones. I have an ok knowledge of X men loved that stuff as a youth. I think im gonna grab one of the cheaper ones off google 1st

I may buy one of those big ones. I have an ok knowledge of X men loved that stuff as a youth. I think im gonna grab one of the cheaper ones off google 1st

If you don't care about paper quality or color ink, grab the Essential X-Men phone books. They run $15 or so per and include something like 20-30 issues.

I dont really care about paper but I do want color. I was looking at sample comics on my tablt though and it seems its big enough to read with out a lot of messing with the page. So im either gonna start with Dark Phoenix or Dark Knight returns. Then on to a new Series of Books The Way Of Kings

I am currently working my way through the Ranger's Apprentice books. I will follow that up by re-reading the Guardians of the Flame series (hard to find but pretty awesome). I recently finished the Dark Tower series by Stephen King as well as the Sword of Truth series.

The Wheel of Time books were decent, but went way too long and then the ending felt extremely rushed. The Sword of Truth books have a similar problem.

I seriously doubt any here have read the Amber chronicles by Roger Zelazny. I prefer the first series over the second but both are really good. Don't discount them because they were written a long time ago... they are well worth a read.

I never have liked Stephen King but I loved the Dark Tower books just freaking awesome. I also really liked the Wheel of Time it could have been 30 books and I would have liked it.

That guardians of Flame series sounds kinda weird. Sword of Truth sounds reallycool though

Last edited:
I never have liked Stephen King but I loved the Dark Tower books just freaking awesome. I also really liked the Wheel of Time it could have been 30 books and I would have liked it

Oh, I liked the books, but once you have 6-8 characters going in different directions it gets hard to keep up.

I dont really care about paper but I do want color. I was looking at sample comics on my tablt though and it seems its big enough to read with out a lot of messing with the page. So im either gonna start with Dark Phoenix or Dark Knight returns. Then on to a new Series of Books The Way Of Kings

I wish digital comics were cheaper. IMO, they should be a buck each. You should be able to buy omnibus editions for $20 or so digitally. Instead, folks seem hellbent on trying to squeeze $3 out of people for them.

I wish digital comics were cheaper. IMO, they should be a buck each. You should be able to buy omnibus editions for $20 or so digitally. Instead, folks seem hellbent on trying to squeeze $3 out of people for them.
yeah i don't get overpricing digital comics either

Back
Top Bottom