College Dorm is breakable

Status
Not open for further replies.
a dead bolt? Isn't that the thing where you can only open it form the inside? My most problematic part is when I'm out of the dorms. I stay in usually in the weekends becuase I'm afraid stuff in my dorm might get stolen. Theres been numerous cases in school already about stuff getting taken.

Get some renters insurance man. It's cheap, $20 a month probably. Then if something happens at least you can get reimbursed for the value.

Have the locks changed, set a security camera up to record to a pc that they wont find, and keep the room locked up... Also take down on a note pad every item, there description, pictures of all items and there prices.

a dead bolt? Isn't that the thing where you can only open it form the inside? My most problematic part is when I'm out of the dorms. I stay in usually in the weekends becuase I'm afraid stuff in my dorm might get stolen. Theres been numerous cases in school already about stuff getting taken.

No, it is another lock above the door handle that locks in place. The bolt WILL NOT move unless you actually move it with the key.

yale_deadbolt_lock_nt840.jpg

Deadbolt.

No, it is another lock above the door handle that locks in place. The bolt WILL NOT move unless you actually move it with the key.
One could also pick the lock, which is something a 12 year old could do on most locks with a bobby pin, some sort of tension bar, and a bit of practice. Or one could hypothetically use a bump key.

Well then punch said dorm supervisor in the face.

and then get your 20 bucks out of his pocket. 20 bones to come out of his room and open your door? thats extortion.
renters insurance, like jorsoft says.
no, i highly doubt they will let you put a deadbolt on your dorm room door.
engrave your name on your stuff, in a semi hidden spot. then you can spot it at a pawn shop or in someones room.
lastly, get a life man. im not saying that to be mean, really. you are in college, its time to spread your social wings...its not time to sit in a dorm room all weekend with a shotgun waiting for someone to pick your lock and steal all your ****.

One could also pick the lock, which is something a 12 year old could do on most locks with a bobby pin, some sort of tension bar, and a bit of practice. Or one could hypothetically use a bump key.

Newer locks of good brand are immune to bump keys. You could still pick it yes...not many ways to protect yourself from that unless you get a biometric or digital lock, lol.

ive seen my buddy pic all sorts of locks includign a dead bolt using a jigsaw blade. takes him less then 5 seconds to do it to youd think he was using a key. your idea is preaty good, now just back yourself up with some insurance and your all set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom