College Dorm is breakable

Status
Not open for further replies.

akasixcon

This is sparta!
I was locked out of my dorm. I had no other choice than to try to get in rather than paying the $20 for getting an RA* to open it for you. I tried using the card method but the door thing was opposite. I used a hanger and bent it in a way that gets the door thing from inside out. BAM my dorm room is open.

If I can do this, anyone can; especially the seniors who know what they are doing. I'm really paranoid as I have lots of electronics in my dorm that people would steal. Things such as xbox 360, computers, games, music, cds, dvds, money, speakers and stuff. My current plan is to use technology to give me an ease of mind.

I will use a webcam to monitor all activity in my dorm. The webcam will capture anything that has motion. Pandora does this really well. When the motion is detected it will be emailed to me so even if they stole my computer / webcam; i will know who did it. The only one who would steal from me is someone who knows I have this stuff or their friend whom they've told. Either way I will be able to provide this information to the cops for investigation.

Again I'm a paranoid person. I need to take this steps because everytime I'm out of my dorm I always get really nervous that someone might steal something. I don't even go out that much on weekends because of this.

What are your thoughts and suggestions for better dorm security??

Check into getting insurance. I know renters get insurance as that is what I have in case of burglary or disaster. I have not looked into dorm insurance, but surely there has to be something either through your school or through a third party company you can sign up for to make sure you are insured.

Other than that, what you are doing is about the only legal thing, and without insurance even if the cops find the people who stole it, that doesn't mean they wouldn't have pawned it by then. If it gets pawned, the cops usually don't care enough to track it down.

surely you can press charges on the people who stole it let alone if they pawned it? Stealing is a crime isn't it?

I'm pretty paranoid about it too... got a lot of expensive electronics in my dorm room. My parents' home owners insurance covers me, though. But it sounds like a pretty cool idea you have.

surely you can press charges on the people who stole it let alone if they pawned it? Stealing is a crime isn't it?

I mean, if the criminals took the stuff and pawned it, you can press charges, but you'll never see your stuff again. The Police won't mess with chasing it through all the pawn sales or other street sales in most cases.

I'm guessing most dorms won't allow you to change the locks or install a dead bolt... mine definitely wouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom