Potentially the longest thread in history...

PP it seems like you just attract mayhem and bull**** :lol:
It's just where I work man, other people go through similar ****. My gf got let go in 2015 due to an HR incident that her supervisor started. Instead of dealing with it they just let both of them go, then like a year and a half later called her up saying it wasn't her fault and offered her the job back at less pay. Like wtf lol. Want to know what happened? She worked in the clinic and after I took my gf's support ticket (it's how we met) her supervisor kept trying to say we ****ed. Except we never left the front office area where her computer was which has a glass window directly to the waiting area. Like 2 months later I took another ticket down there involving a printer. It was in the back area and then her supervisor was trying to say she ****ed me in that back room. So my gf got tired of it and went to HR. All they had to do was simply watch some of the security footage to see what was going on but instead just let them both go.

It's just where I work man, other people go through similar ****. My gf got let go in 2015 due to an HR incident that her supervisor started. Instead of dealing with it they just let both of them go, then like a year and a half later called her up saying it wasn't her fault and offered her the job back at less pay. Like wtf lol. Want to know what happened? She worked in the clinic and after I took my gf's support ticket (it's how we met) her supervisor kept trying to say we ****ed. Except we never left the front office area where her computer was which has a glass window directly to the waiting area. Like 2 months later I took another ticket down there involving a printer. It was in the back area and then her supervisor was trying to say she ****ed me in that back room. So my gf got tired of it and went to HR. All they had to do was simply watch some of the security footage to see what was going on but instead just let them both go.

What the actual ****, do you not have unfair dismissal laws over there ? could easily sue for wrongful dismissal surely...

Don't you guys have probationary periods ?

That's what we have here. It basically gives the employee and employer and easy get-out if it's not working out. They usually last 3 or 6 months from the first day. It means if I am hired and they hate me, they can basically just let me go for any reason - and same for me, it means I can pretty much quit without working any real notice period. But after the probation period, you're backed up by all the employment laws. Basically they can only fire you for good reason. E.g. you punched someone, or you can't do your job - and they have to prove it too.

That's what we have here. It basically gives the employee and employer and easy get-out if it's not working out. They usually last 3 or 6 months from the first day. It means if I am hired and they hate me, they can basically just let me go for any reason - and same for me, it means I can pretty much quit without working any real notice period. But after the probation period, you're backed up by all the employment laws. Basically they can only fire you for good reason. E.g. you punched someone, or you can't do your job - and they have to prove it too.

Depends on the job.

I had a probationary period when I first started my current job - but it was basically policy-based; so you couldn't use vacation and stuff like that right off the bat (had to wait 6 months). Also gave an easy out for my current employer, because then it's less paper work to let you go prior to 6 months. After the 6 months, it's a lot of paperwork for them to let you go - so they usually put on on a "work improvement plan" if you're not performing as you should. But, again, SD is a right to work state so they can still let you go for whatever reason, as long as it wasn't discriminatory.

30-90 day periods here are basically don't call in during that time and don't screw up or you're gone.

I don't know of any U.S. states that won't allow any employer to can you for any or no reason at all. Here in Mich if an employer does can you you might get unemployment benefits but that depends on the reason you got canned for. If your just an idiot, start a fight or do not show up for work then you probably won't get any benefits

I really like having the security those laws bring tbh, I think they benefit both employer and employee; employee can't just drop the job & quit next day if we feel like it without repercussions (such as losing accrued leave), and employer can't up and "let you go" next day unless you've committed an offense. The longer you work for a company, the more notice you're required of your intent to leave too (3 for most, capped at 4 weeks I think).

I really like having the security those laws bring tbh, I think they benefit both employer and employee; employee can't just drop the job & quit next day if we feel like it without repercussions (such as losing accrued leave), and employer can't up and "let you go" next day unless you've committed an offense. The longer you work for a company, the more notice you're required of your intent to leave too (3 for most, capped at 4 weeks I think).

Capped at 4 ? damn. We don't have a cap here. I've worked with people who had to give 16 weeks notice, but they also get 16 weeks redundancy pay so swings and roundabouts.

Back
Top Bottom