Potentially the longest thread in history...

It's a slightly confusing one :p

32 bit is referring to 32 binary numbers (i.e only 0's and 1's) being the largest number these systems were designed to handle.
It's why there's a 4GB limit on 32 bit systems, because 11111111111111111111111111111111 in binary = 4,294,967,295 in decimal.

There's 1024 bytes in a kilobyte, 1024 kilobytes in a megabyte, etc.
So 4GB x 1024 (MB) x 1024 (KB) x 1024 (B) = 4,294,967,296. That's one number higher than we can write with only 32 binary bits!

So someone decided hey, instead of creating architecture that only supports 32 binary numbers in a row, lets make one that supports 64 in a row. Now we can store much larger numbers.

Unfortunately, when AMD invented that new 64 bit architecture, they infuriatingly decided to call it "AMD64". But companies like Intel also use this architecture, so the name is now stupidly misleading as it seems you'd only choose an "amd64" build if you had an AMD cpu.
For that reason, lots of people call it "x86_64" or just "x64" these days.

Unfortunately, when AMD invented that new 64 bit architecture, they infuriatingly decided to call it "AMD64". But companies like Intel also use this architecture, so the name is now stupidly misleading as it seems you'd only choose an "amd64" build if you had an AMD cpu.
For that reason, lots of people call it "x86_64" or just "x64" these days.

x86 and i386 are both Intel-coined terms as well, because of the Intel 8086 and 8386 :p.

IMO, it shouldn't be called x64, and isn't by a lot as that would lead to Itanium, anyone remember that fiasco? A lot of devs seem to stick with the proper AMD64 naming when releasing software.

As for x86_64... That's just annoying for too many reasons to list, 6_6

Yeah same gripe there :p just call it x32 ffs! I guess I can forgive them a little more though, even though they went with a pretty short sighted naming scheme at least they didn't stick their actual brand name in there -_-

edit: adding to the pile, "WOW64" for 32 bit support.

Last edited:
So what you are saying is x86 is 32bit and i386 is 32bit but AMD64 is 64bit and the reasoning behind this is AMD came up with the 64bit Architecture and this is also called x64.

x86_64 is 32 bit support and 64 bit support.

If I'm rite on that. Thats too just confusing. :confused:

Last edited:
Yeah that's about right :grin:

In other news, I'm getting more and more into investing in ETFs and MY GOD I wish I'd done this ages ago. I did up a quick report here in case it's of interest to anyone. Tl;dr, stop relying on ****ty bank interest rates for your savings accounts. It's literally earned me more than twice the amount of interest in 3 months than I would've earned in a whole year if I'd just stuck all my savings into a "high interest" bank account.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VsOsC_-TRFKWFi00DxZq3Qkq2Qi3p3zrydlmpXv6Y1M/edit?usp=sharing

An ETF's goal is basically to mirror the stock market; they are designed to follow the top 100/300/etc companies in a given area. To take an example from my spreadsheet, VAP invests in the top 300 Australian real estate companies. There's also one that invests in the top 300 companies in Australia regardless of industry, one that invests in the top 200 companies in the world, etcetc.

One thing I'll add is that it's important to invest across multiple ETFs because it minimizes the chance of you being affected by a downswing in one area.
e.g. if I was only invested in VAP and the Australian property market tanked all of a sudden, I'd be in the ****. But because I'm also invested in other industry areas as well as overseas options, I'm far more tolerant to localized dips/swings.

But srsly. Do it.

Last edited:
Yeah that's about right :grin:

In other news, I'm getting more and more into investing in ETFs and MY GOD I wish I'd done this ages ago. I did up a quick report here in case it's of interest to anyone. Tl;dr, stop relying on ****ty bank interest rates for your savings accounts. It's literally earned me more than twice the amount of interest in 3 months than I would've earned in a whole year if I'd just stuck all my savings into a "high interest" bank account.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VsOsC_-TRFKWFi00DxZq3Qkq2Qi3p3zrydlmpXv6Y1M/edit?usp=sharing

An ETF's goal is basically to mirror the stock market; they are designed to follow the top 100/300/etc companies in a given area. To take an example from my spreadsheet, VAP invests in the top 300 Australian real estate companies. There's also one that invests in the top 300 companies in Australia regardless of industry, one that invests in the top 200 companies in the world, etcetc.

One thing I'll add is that it's important to invest across multiple ETFs because it minimizes the chance of you being affected by a downswing in one area.
e.g. if I was only invested in VAP and the Australian property market tanked all of a sudden, I'd be in the ****. But because I'm also invested in other industry areas as well as overseas options, I'm far more tolerant to localized dips/swings.

But srsly. Do it.

Copy cat :p

So what you are saying is x86 is 32bit and i386 is 32bit but AMD64 is 64bit and the reasoning behind this is AMD came up with the 64bit Architecture and this is also called x64.

x86_64 is 32 bit support and 64 bit support.

If I'm rite on that. Thats too just confusing. :confused:

32-bit: x86, i386, IA-32
64-bit: x64, x86_64, amd64

Back
Top Bottom