The New, Hopefully Bug Free Folding@Home Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
PRVRT,

Sorry to hear about your bit of bad luck this past week. We had a massive storm here the other night and i lost power for jsut a second. But it was enough to turn off my PC....

Glad i have Surge protectors and UPS's in place. Didnt do no damage to my PC.

Hope you reach your goal!

Nos,

A GTX280 witha P4? Comeon Mr. Hardware. Where is the Quad Core?? :p

Cheers,
Mak

i'm buying my gtx280 soon, so i will be folding gtx280 status soon!!!!

and crappy p4 and ps3 to go with it... lol

and rican.. what is ur current combined ppd?

So where is that Q6700?!

I should make a thread for a cheap Folding Farm Rig for $500

sold it a while ago ;)

i'm thinking q9550 will do the job nicely :)

yaa, i'll be on a 750i ftw and that gtx 280... with a p4 in it.. and 1gb of ddr2 533.. lol

Gah why?!

EDIT heres my Folding Farm for $500, just throw in some optical drives and your basic HD and you got a Rig that can fold with good PPD (even better if you throw in the 2nd one, don't enable SLi though) and game too :)

Newegg.com - EVGA 384-P3-N851-AR GeForce 8800 GS 384MB 192-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards (X2)
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Elite 330 RC-330-KKN1-GP Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - Antec BP550 Plus 550W ATX12V V2.2 Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CE, TUV, CB, FCC, CCC, C-TICK - Power Supplies
Cheap 1gb or 512mb Kit with Windows XP
Newegg.com - Foxconn P9657AB-8EKRS2H LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Newegg.com - Intel Celeron E1200 1.6GHz 512KB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Find an old Optical Drive to load XP/Vista, then pull it out after its done and throw in an old Hard Drive thats low in Space

**** you might fit a $284 eVGA 9800GX2 in there maybe?

Or if you find two used 8800gt's 256mb's (same PPD as the 512mb) it'll do about the same PPD and you could get them for around $80 on eBay or SLiZone

silly vernong, you should know my cycle by now... buy new parts.. sell em.. buy new parts again!!

and i just happened to have a p4 laying around thats lga775... so i said, hey why not use it...

i havent been on tf because i am computerless.... and i just really want a computer right now.. so i can live with a p4.. :p

but anyway, ontopic.. my ps3 is chuggin' along with folding... i don't think its pulling the numbers my q6600 did when i folded before though... but nothing to complain about... f@h on ps3 has great sleeping music.. lol i leave it on while i go to bed... even has ocean wooosh sounds

This has been one **** of a week for me folding. I have had the power go out 3 times in the last 3 days, and then one of my 6.22 clients decided it did not want to keep working, my 6.20 client decided it did not like the 177.35 drivers, and with the power going out, it took one of my 500GB hd's out which is now in the mail in the rma process. Of course the drive that went out was my backup drive and I was in the process of cleaning up my other hard drives and had removed a few things which are now gone since the backup died completely during the cleanup process. Guess I will see if things get back to a working order today. So far everything is running good, but it is still early. Looks like it is time to step it up a bit more and get a few more clients running. I am still under 25k ppd which is my goal. I should be there in a few weeks, if the power stays on and nothing else fries or decides to stop working.

Sorry to hear that, i suggest you invest in ups's and power conditioners to protect the expensive hardware you got there.

I have a rackmount power conditioner, i just need to get a rackmount ups now but all the ones ive found are a bit pricey so im saving up and looking for a good deal.

i'm buying my gtx280 soon, so i will be folding gtx280 status soon!!!!

and crappy p4 and ps3 to go with it... lol

and rican.. what is ur current combined ppd?

As of right now, my estimated ppd is about 15,000.

It goes down/up, depending on what projects i get.

Just look at my sig, at the end of the day it says how much ive folded in 24 hours, before it resets to 0.

Ive done almost 16,000ppd in a day before.

The p4 doesnt matter nos, the GTX 280 will still fold to its full potential, since the nvidia client is not cpu intensive at all.

You will get 7000+ ppd from that GTX 280 alone, plus another 900ppd from the ps3.

Theres a lot of things you can go cheaper on to reduce cost, especially the cpu. An E1200 can feed dual gpu's easily, in fact even 4 gpu's with no problems.

silly vernong, you should know my cycle by now... buy new parts.. sell em.. buy new parts again!!

and i just happened to have a p4 laying around thats lga775... so i said, hey why not use it...

i havent been on tf because i am computerless.... and i just really want a computer right now.. so i can live with a p4.. :p

but anyway, ontopic.. my ps3 is chuggin' along with folding... i don't think its pulling the numbers my q6600 did when i folded before though... but nothing to complain about... f@h on ps3 has great sleeping music.. lol i leave it on while i go to bed... even has ocean wooosh sounds

The ps3 does about 900ppd on average, so no it cant compete with a q6600 but it does look nice.

Sorry to hear that, i suggest you invest in ups's and power conditioners to protect the expensive hardware you got there.
I have a rackmount power conditioner, i just need to get a rackmount ups now but all the ones ive found are a bit pricey so im saving up and looking for a good deal.

As of right now, my estimated ppd is about 15,000.

It goes down/up, depending on what projects i get.

Just look at my sig, at the end of the day it says how much ive folded in 24 hours, before it resets to 0.

Ive done almost 16,000ppd in a day before.
I have APC UPS's with conditioners on all pc's with battery backup. The problem with the HD was that the UPS shut down before the pc did due to the fact someone plugged something else into my UPS without knowing it. So basically the battery died before it was supposed to and did not have enough power to run long enough for the PC to complete the shutdown.

My max in a day has been 19,500 PPD, so far. Once winter gets here, things will change. :cool:

EDIT: I just noticed that when I changed my Laptop clients .exe file to the .exe -shm version, I forgot to configure it, so I sent a wu as anonymous. :eek:

Yeah i need to get a strong 550 watt ups so i can keep both my systems up in
case of a storm. usually when the power goes out here it comes back on right away, within a minute or so.

Theres another dektop in the house thats always on, (family pc) but its only a 2.0ghz celeron so
it wont do much to my daily average. And it only has agp as well and im not gonna pay $90 for an agp
hd3650 to fold.

I thought about getting a cheap board with pci-e and chip for it, so i can add another gpu and get myself up
close to 20k.

yeah I Need To Get A Strong 550 Watt Ups So I Can Keep Both My Systems Up In
Case Of A Storm. Usually When The Power Goes Out Here It Comes Back On Right Away, Within A Minute Or So.

Theres Another Dektop In The House Thats Always On, (family Pc) But Its Only A 2.0ghz Celeron So
It Wont Do Much To My Daily Average. And It Only Has Agp As Well And Im Not Gonna Pay $90 For An Agp
Hd3650 To Fold.

I Thought About Getting A Cheap Board With Pci-e And Chip For It, So I Can Add Another Gpu And Get Myself Up
Close To 20k.

Lga 775? Lga 478?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom