Your First Computer!

Very very first computer...... Apple II Plus.
First computer that was might and not ethically unethically acquired from work AMD K6ii 233Mhz, 32Mb Ram, 3Gb Hard drive, Sis 8Mb Video Card with Voodoo III 3D Excellerator, Windows 98

VIC 20 and Commodore 64 for me.

WOO 1MHZ COMPUTING! I had everything but a printer...even had the 400 baud modem, cassette deck, and 3x 5 1/4" floppy disk drives.

Sorry to ask this, but how did those work again ? o_o
I never seen one in action like that, tape drives I have seen and touched once and I wouldnt ever want to mess with one in a job setting.

Tandy 3000 250-4001 Specifications
My first computer was a tandy 3000, it was given to me back in 1992.
Wasn't much, but played carmen sandeigo in dos mode and some other crap.
Through middle school till the end of high school, I used mac systems and a cheap gateway 2000.
My gateway 2000 I owned back in 2001:

433mhz celeron socket 370.
256mb sd ram, had 98se.
Pushed it all the way to xp and early vista.
First computer or rebuilt was a hp computer slot 1 700mhz p3.
Jacked it up to 750mhz and what I was using when first started out here.

Everything else you all know for those that know me personally. :/

Oh crap this thread is making me feel REALLY old lol my first was someone's old one given to me, NO idea on the specs but had the 5" floppy and when it was new ran on "BASIC" lol I had a floppy to boot of Dos though, messed around with it until my girls kid seen the slots on the case and thought hmmm piggy bank and dropped a penny in lol poof there was a mushroom cloud lol then the following Christmas I got the first REAL computer.... A 486 DX2 lol a few years later I got a bomb of a PC ... A Sony 200mhz with a 17" Trinitron monitor, only cost me $3400 eek been building my systems ever since.

Dauntae

Last edited:
Sorry to ask this, but how did those work again ? o_o
I never seen one in action like that, tape drives I have seen and touched once and I wouldnt ever want to mess with one in a job setting.

Sorry, just saw this response.

I only used the tape deck for games, so I couldn't tell you much, but the basic usage is pretty simple. Essentially there were certain parts of the tape reel that had programs recorded onto it, and the tape deck had a counter. You had to get the tape to a certain counter to play a certain game/run a certain program. I think (it's been a long time now) you just had to press pause when you were at the correct counter number and run the game from the Commodore main prompt on screen using a certain run command. I really wish I still had it so I could relearn all this stuff...

Sorry, just saw this response.

I only used the tape deck for games, so I couldn't tell you much, but the basic usage is pretty simple. Essentially there were certain parts of the tape reel that had programs recorded onto it, and the tape deck had a counter. You had to get the tape to a certain counter to play a certain game/run a certain program. I think (it's been a long time now) you just had to press pause when you were at the correct counter number and run the game from the Commodore main prompt on screen using a certain run command. I really wish I still had it so I could relearn all this stuff...

I still have my VIC20 and Atari 800XL ;)

You should buy the new C64 thatt hey released a little while ago
Commodore 64x

MODEL:Commodore 64x (Supreme)
PROCESSOR:Intel® Dual Core 2.13GHz D2700 Atom
CHIPSET:Intel NM10 Express Chipset
MEMORY:2 x 204-pin DDR3 1066 DIMM Sockets (4 GB)
GRAPHICS:nVidia GeForce GT 520 (512Mb)
LAN:10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet
WIRELESS:802.11n (300 Mb/s) and Blutooth 3.0 technology
STORAGE:2 SATA 3Gb/s, 1 mSATA

You can also get their Linux OS for free, it's based on the old Commodore OS lol
http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_OS_Vision.aspx

Last edited:
Here is a Pic of my first computer.
This is technically a laptop but does not have a battery, It only has DOS, No information can be stored on the computer, everything was made available via Floppy Drives.

old_laptop.jpeg

You should buy the new C64 thatt hey released a little while ago
Commodore 64x

MODEL:Commodore 64x (Supreme)
PROCESSOR:Intel® Dual Core 2.13GHz D2700 Atom
CHIPSET:Intel NM10 Express Chipset
MEMORY:2 x 204-pin DDR3 1066 DIMM Sockets (4 GB)
GRAPHICS:nVidia GeForce GT 520 (512Mb)
LAN:10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet
WIRELESS:802.11n (300 Mb/s) and Blutooth 3.0 technology
STORAGE:2 SATA 3Gb/s, 1 mSATA

You can also get their Linux OS for free, it's based on the old Commodore OS lol
Commodore USA

Yeah, I've already looked at that...basically a new computer in a C64 shell, no real point to it...I was tempted to build my own computer since they have barebones kits but it's too expensive. I'm interested that they've released the OS though.

Back
Top Bottom