Your First Computer!

IBM PC
Intel 8088 @ 4.77MHz (With a "M")
16KB RAM
The BIG floppy disc drive

DOS was the main OS then I think.

Later upgraded to a Tandy of some sort. I remember getting used to Windows 3.1 while preferring DOS. I remember when a friend got the first Pentium (100MHz I think?) with Windows '95 and I wanted it so bad. Played "You Don't Know Jack" and was amazed lol.

The only thing I know about my first computer is that it used an AMD K-6 processor and that it was built by my dad.

I have my dads old graphics card here if anyone is interested in having a look at a blast from the past. Just found out it kind of redefined graphics cards or something...
Its the Orchid RIghteous 3D, and unfortunately, I could never find a driver for it to run on Vista or anything later. Although my i5's integrated graphics may actually be better now :')
148g2me.jpg

35bgilv.jpg

That is a Voodoo 1 graphics card. 3DFX had a bad habit of letting too many people rebrand their cards, which IMO is over half the reason why they went under.

There are 3rd party Voodoo drivers for XP, but these cards were dated already when XP came out. Really, the only thing you could do with this card is if you went XP and wanted to play some old Glide based games. Other than that, yes your IGP is better at Direct3D apps.

I have all mainstream Voodoo cards besides 4 series and obviously the 5 6000. Absolutely love all of them.

Ahh right. It interested me finding out more about them., especially the fact that they were more expensive than my current processor is, but my processor out powers it alone...

It looks awesome on the back though. I assume they don't sell for anything anymore?

Only to collectors. I forgot to mention, those cards were what brought "3D" or "3D enhanced graphics" to the plate. They were originally featured in arcade games until later coming out as 3D add in cards for desktop PCs. In other words, you output your 2D card (main video card) to your Voodoo card which handles all 3D processing.

Here is a picture of my Voodoo 5 5500.

DSCN2393.jpg

They were the first to bring in dual GPU, and also the first to bring SLI or dual card to the table. Back then SLI meant a different thing. They were basically the pioneers of a TON of desktop based technologies. Such a sad thing they screwed up and went under. Luckily, my second favorite GPU company bought them out :)

Wow, that's interesting! Is that all done on the one card now?

I assume that second favorite company is Nvidia? I think I remember reading they bought them out somewhere...
Does that make AMD your favorite?

Back
Top Bottom