XBox 1 help! It broke, now I'm trying to troubleshoot it/maybe mod it

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoysNightOut

In Runtime
I got the whole thing in pieces currently. It had the orange light error a year ago and we never got it fixed again, it already did it once before as well...so I figured since it's basically a PC I'd try to fix it my self or at least troubleshoot it and find out what was wrong because I could probably replace it or something. Here's what I need to know!!!

1) The DVD-ROM apparently has a whack power inlet so I can't just plug it up to my PC power supply...what do I do???

2) The HD is a WD EB something drive, 80GB I think or whatever. I slaved it to my PC HD and the BIOS picks it up fine, yet in My Computer you cant see the physical folders or the drive itself to open it. I assume the HD is modified in some way to run in the Xbox so that it can sense it there. Is there a way to bypass that or something so that I can check it out on my PC? If not...what can I do??? I want to see the if the HD is what is bad, but I figure if the PC can at least sense it, maybe it's not the problem after all...dunno yet. I need some help! It plugs up just like a regular HD so I dont see why it's any different, but I noticed my WD drives all say JB001 or whatever and the Xbox one says EB001 or something of a little different nature.

3) The power supply...I figure it's still good because the xbox did always turn on, it just had the orange LED error code...what can I do to test this sucker...?

4) I'm thinking if I fix it or not, maybe replacing some stuff with a burner, bigger HD maybe or something like that and turning it into a modded xbox maybe. Sounds like it could be cool and a nifty idea. Can you change the celeron processor in those badboys even too and upgrade it? I figure if you had the right BIOS and what not. I could turn the whole Xbox into the same thing just more powerful, faster cpu, faster HD, better dvd-burner, etc etc...if that's possible, someone let me know!

I've been on xbox-scene.com and reading a lot of their stuff and these things are the hype, apparently you can do a million things to them. Sounds good and all, just wanna know those things before I get into any real modding or anything like that hehe. I may buy another xbox and mod it into a download client like my other PC here...cheap comp at only 80-100 used hehe...

If anyone knows how to help. LET ME KNOW PLEASE!!! Thanks so much for reading all my crap!

-Chris

tbh i think you should put it all back together, hook it up to the t.v, switch it on and if you get the 'xbox needs servicing' look to the top left and get the error number eg 16 and check against this http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/errorcodes.php
it will narrow down the problem and can be sorted from there.

btw if it has a 80gig hdd it will probably be modded already.

I've been working closely with xbox scene forums lately now and have narrowed the issue down some.

Also, I have a gen 1 v 1.0 xbox, so no error codes pop up for me. Hooray. Sucks bigtime. Although I think I narrowed it down to being the display adapter connection.

The box blinks green/orange when no display is plugged in, but as soon as you plug it in, it goes immediately to green/RED instead of orange and the xbox service screen is popped up.

I just wish I had an error code scanner for mine...sucks we have an original version. I may just need to get a new one, fix it up and just swap the HD's so I get my files back..who knows yet. We're working on it over there hah. Thanks!

Gilinator said:
sounds cool! i heard about a guy who put a water cooled system in his xbox 360!

That's SO useless! The things that people do in their free time...:freak: :wooha:

In response to your original post:

1) The Xbox uses a proprietary DVD-ROM drive, therefore it uses a proprietary power connector (at least as far as I know)

2) The Xbox uses a different filesystem than your computer, so your computer cannot read it

4)- A burner will not work in an Xbox, and the Xbox wouldn't be able to use it anyway
- You have to have a mod chip in order to use a different harddrive
- You can't upgrade the processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom