Windows 7 - WMP will no longer play files from Ext. HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

MXR09

Beta member
Hello all!

When I first bought my External Hard Drive, I loaded it with all of my Music and Movies. It played everything directly from the External HD without a problem.

Yesterday, I booted up, opened Windows Media Center, and when I tried to play a song, I got the error message:

"Windows Media Player cannot find the file. If you are trying to play, burn, or sync an item that is in your library, the item might point to a file that has been moved, renamed, or deleted."

I have not moved any of the files, and I have to assume they haven't become corrupt. If I drag a file onto the desktop, and then click on it, it plays fine!

Any help would be appreciated.
MXR09

Try opening the file directly from the hd versus from media center.

My guess is the drive letter changed on your external confusing the heck out of wmp.

Thank you for the quick response. I have tried this without any luck. My drive location has always been "i", so I don't think this is this case. I have looked over the file paths, and the seem to match exactly. I'm a computer geek myself, so I have tried all of the traditional fixes (clearing WMP, and then re-adding the files etc..).

After all of the problems I've fixed on other peoples computers, I'm embarrassed to say I can't figure out how to fix my External Hard Drives connectivity issues. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom