Windows 7 Gateway Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

NevoraskiA

In Runtime
My internet is logging off every couple minutes. Then I have to go to network and sharing center... click troubleshoot problems... click internet connections... and then trouble shoot it. At this point I keep getting "The default gateway is not available"... and then it says fixed. I am then able to use the internet again for a short while.

My computer build can be found at http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/building-new-computer-need-input-239180/index3.html#post1885042 and I'm using Windows 7 Professional x64.

I'm not sure why or if it has anything to do with it, but I have both a Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv6). They are both set to obtain ip address automatically.

when you lose internet connection can you ping your default gateway? Can you ping google.com? You need to narrow down the issue, at this point it could be your NIC, your router, your modem or your ISP. You need to narrow down the issue.

First step is to open the command prompt and type ipconfig /all, then write down your default gateway. Then when you lose internet try to pint that gateway. If you can ping that then try a website.

when you lose internet connection can you ping your default gateway? Can you ping google.com? You need to narrow down the issue, at this point it could be your NIC, your router, your modem or your ISP. You need to narrow down the issue.

First step is to open the command prompt and type ipconfig /all, then write down your default gateway. Then when you lose internet try to pint that gateway. If you can ping that then try a website.

IDK if I can ping my gateway I'll hafta try it. IDK if I can ping google.com. Not sure if it would be NIC related (lot's of people are having this issue with windows 7... based on a brief search online)... I don't have a router so that's not the issue. It's definately not the modem or ISP I have never had an issue with them before until I got windows 7. Plus I'm not sure what a NIC is... I know it stands for Network Interface Card. I'm guessing that it's the dialup plug in place?... I don't use dialup so I don't have one of those then.

I'm lookin into that ping thing... wait for response on that.

Alright. I tested this while with and without connection. Without connection I can't ping google or my default gateway. With connection I can ping google but not my default gateway.

You can't connect to google without going through a default gateway, double check the IP. If it's true and when you lose connection you can't ping your default gateway the issue may be your modem / router (the default gateway). If you have a router in front of your modem take it out of the equation and see if the issue persists.

You can't connect to google without going through a default gateway, double check the IP. If it's true and when you lose connection you can't ping your default gateway the issue may be your modem / router (the default gateway). If you have a router in front of your modem take it out of the equation and see if the issue persists.

Well I did ping the exact same display as what it said my default gateway is and it's never given me any return. google.com does though when I have internet connection. So IDK what to say there. Like I said above, I don't have a router... modem only... and I've never had this issue before until recently.

okay check to see if maybe the IP of the modem is changing. So when you can't ping the modem but can ping a website do an ipconfig again to see if the default gateway has changed.

Just in case anyone else reads this... I am no longer having the problem... haven't for ages... The problem just seems to have solved itself. I think it was just a windows 7 error. I'm guessing it fixed with an update to windows 7 or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom