Window 10 questions *READ* :D

Revan_onarsi

Solid State Member
Hey guys

Just a few questions about windows 10 in regards to gaming

Before when I was upgrading from windows vista to 7 I had lag on some games because of the jump from directx10 to 11 but my old pc was from way back in 09 n it was HP

Now I'm building a new pc just a budget build but I'm worried about changing to W10 Coz i fell short on the gpu so i have to use my old GT 740 until I can buy my Gtx 950
It will support DX12 but still worries me

Will there be any lag using my Gt740 on W10? My specs below

case: casecom Neptune midtower CP-626
CPU: core I3 4170
Ram: ripjaws x series 8gb (4gbx2)
HDD: Seagate barracuda 1Tb
GPU: Gt740 (for now)
PSU: Evga supernova 650w
MOBO: Msi Z97 pc mate

Re: Good enough ?

Your CPU and GPU combo is very good for a "budget build", as for frame rates, I did find this (very long) demonstration of the card, but it looks great for gaming (IMHO) running around 40-60fps in Battlefield 4.

YouTube Vid

Regarding Windows 10 and gaming....

I plan to put 7 back on my gaming rig as soon as I have some free time. IMHO, 7 did the best with gaming. Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 are noticeably slower on my machine (which I'll need to update my sig...). Having run 7, 8.1 and now 10 on the same hardware, I'm going back to 7 unfortunately. Now don't get me wrong, I do like Windows 10, just not for my gaming rig.

Last edited:
Re: Good enough ?

Darn I knew I forgot something yeah a HDD is seagate barracuda 1Tb might get a sdd down track
Ty for the reply

Win10 will be fine. I haven't noticed a performance issue with Win10 on either of my systems running it with games. If anything, the couple articles I've read on WIn7/WIn8/WIn10 performance, is performance was generally increased as from 7 -> 8 -> 10.

Personally, I can not longer trust 10.
It screwed up an ethernet device by forcing a driver that was buggy, and could not be rolled back. It is over run with telemetry that M$ takes without telling what it takes and sells you out to adware (but only for your personal benefit)
Microsoft describes Basic as collecting "data that is vital to the operation of Windows," and to prove that, requires it as a minimum before serving the device with updates via Windows Update. "But some apps and features may not work correctly or at all" with Basic, the company warns.

The other settings collect an increasing amount of data from a Windows 10 PC. Enhanced, for example, logs such things as "how frequently or how long you use certain features or apps and which apps you use most often." Meanwhile, Full switches on other data gleaning, including advanced diagnostics "that collect ... such [things] as system files or memory snapshots, which may unintentionally include parts of a document you were working on when a problem occurred."

In return for the data harvesting, Microsoft promises benefits, including "an enhanced and personalized Windows experience," although it does not define what that is.
Windows 10 makes diagnostic data collection compulsory | Computerworld

As of June 2015 windows updates, M$ has started installing it's telemetry on Windows 7 and Windows 8 pc's.
It'll only make *nix look better if they do not turn that ship in a better direction.
I kicked windows 10 out of my home until changes are made
http://www.techist.com/forums/f44/internet-goes-out-275977/

Last edited:
Personally, I can not longer trust 10.
It screwed up an ethernet device by forcing a driver that was buggy,
Disable the auto-driver install through Device Manager. While I understand your problem with MS...why aren't you putting some of the blame on the device manufacturer for allowing a buggy driver to pass through WHQL?

and could not be rolled back. It is over run with telemetry that M$ takes without telling what it takes and sells you out to adware (but only for your personal benefit)
Everything should be in the privacy policy that they're collecting. The only thing I've still been wondering about, is how many logs the hardware ID gets sent - which is the only identifiable piece of info. You can disable most of the telemetry stuff (though like the article you linked states, not all of it). If you go through and customize the settings instead of just hitting "Express Settings" then you can turn most of off, and a quick go through of the Privacy section of the Settings app quickly will turn the stuff of that you missed (that can be turned off). How many actual end users (not power users, because we're a minority) are actually going to care? Not very many, because most of the general population already has Facebook, uses Google, Instagram, etc. and posts literally 90% of their personal info out on the internet for everybody (including ad revenue companies to harvest data). People act like M$ is the first company to get personal info and use it to better their services (or better target you for ads).

It'll only make *nix look better if they do not turn that ship in a better direction.
I kicked windows 10 out of my home until changes are made

Then just switch to Linux instead of complaining about it. Seriously, there's been tons of people that are complaining and saying "IMMA SWITCH TO LINUX NOW!" - and they just keep saying it and not doing anything about it. Not just on this forum, but on countless others I've seen.

Im in the same boat, I dont find any lag in windows 10, but I just dont trust the privacy.

I've disabled all I can but I still think its sending some sort of data.. (I need to Wireshark when I get time) and! very annoyed with certain functions being disabled etc or some of my software's not working correctly...

So when i have time im jumping back to Windows 7 (for now). :cool:

It would be interesting to install a firewall and see which ports it uses to phone home. Then turn around and block them. See what kind of action it takes to get a connection. If you could see the port(s) the P2P updates uses you could block outbound traffic.

That would be an interesting experiment.

Hopefully this doesn't start a fight like it did last time, but those trolls are long gone and the folks here seem much more intelligent. Anywho

The world of performance benchmarking is indeed an interesting one. When performance benchmarks are run, they take a predefined path down the architecture of the Windows operating platform to the hardware and then report back times/etc.

The issue is, when actually running a game, the information is not limited to those predefined pathways. What this means is, your performance benchmarks could very easily report great numbers, but playing a game could prove awful.

My system specs are in my signature, that's my gaming rig. Going from Windows 7, to 8, to 8.1 and now to 10, I can tell you that gaming is negatively affected.

If anyone here is familiar with (and was involved in) the overclocking days of the late 90's, I'm sure you'll understand how getting the latest CPU freqs didn't always translate to high performance. In fact, playing Quake 3 arena was part of my benchmark process. Why? Because the benchmarks would report good stable readings. Open up Quake 3 though and shoot a rocket at a wall in front of you... that's where you actually saw how stable it was. Why? Because that scenario would stress all parts of the Windows subsystem, not just what the benchmarking software used.

Now, this is not to say that Windows 10 is absolutely slower, as the issue could very well be an issue with drivers and nothing to do with the subsystem. However, there is a noticeable difference in performance on 10. So much so that I'm going back to 7 on my gaming rig (I keep saying that I know... just need to find time).

Hopefully it is a driver issue and gets fixed with the quickness. IMHO though, this is a move my M$ to 'raise the bar' on required hardware, much like Apple has been doing over the years, to force the purchase of new hardware.

That's mostly speculation, but there you are. The rants of a lunatic :)

Would all the outbound telemetry affect an online game? And have you heard anything about ESET having problems with w10?

Back
Top Bottom