New Build or buy already built?

Runfox

In Runtime
Time for a new gaming PC, my current build is 2013, so 10 years old, yeah. I usually build my own, but see some iPason-built PCs on New egg that look like good values, maybe.
My main question is, whether I build one or buy one, how do we install windows on PCs these days? My old machine has a DVD drive, which I used to load the operating system with a DVD. I'm guessing without a DVD drive, I would have to download a new copy of windows 10, on a new SSD drive. But then can I download windows 10 onto a new SSD drive using my current windows 7 pc? Another question, I have a backup hard drive in my current PC with windows 7, can I somehow take that backup drive and use it in a new PC with windows 10??
Also, I was told by an IT friend that a good way to get a copy of windows is to search online for windows authentication codes, which some people sell, buy one then download the operating system and then use the code. Is that still possible??

All right found out how to install windows 10 on a new build with a USUB drive, and get a new activation key. Still not sure if I will have any problems installing my windows 7 backup HHD in a new Windows 10 pc.

I will have any problems installing my windows 7 backup HHD in a new Windows 10 pc.
not sure if I follow you on that statement but...no. not a good idea to put your W7 onto a new W10 pc. I'm almost sure that ain't gunna work at all.
now if your just going to use the drive as extra storage with your data on it and use a different drive for W10, then it should be o.k. to do that.

Ok, I apologize for my ambiguity. My question is, can I take my HDD backup drive from my windows 7 PC and use it in a new Windows 10 PC? Will a new windows 10 PC be able to read and use a backup drive from a windows 7 PC? This is a backup drive with files on it, no operating system. I ask because I have had some issues in the past transferring a drive from an older windows PC to a newer one, sometimes windows doses not want to cooperate.

Ok, I apologize for my ambiguity. My question is, can I take my HDD backup drive from my windows 7 PC and use it in a new Windows 10 PC? Will a new windows 10 PC be able to read and use a backup drive from a windows 7 PC? This is a backup drive with files on it, no operating system. I ask because I have had some issues in the past transferring a drive from an older windows PC to a newer one, sometimes windows doses not want to cooperate.
A non OS drive with NTFS partition should have 0 issues moving between computers.

If you want to access this W7 back up folder, what software did you use to make this back up? Chances are...it is in a file extension that was made to access by the software used to create this back up. If it was encrypted by the backup software, then you'll need to decrypt it from the W7 pc first using the software that was used to make this back up

Hello all and Happy Thanksgiving and Black Friday to all!! I am looking at my new build components to catch black friday prices on Amazon and New egg.
My choices so far are
CPU: Intel Core i5-13600k
CPU Cooler: ID-Cooling FrostFlow X280 water cooler,2x 140 fans
GPU: Asus Dual GeForce RTX 4070 OC edition 12gb GDD R6X
MB : Gigabyte Z790 ATX DDR5
PSU: ARESGAME AGV 750W 80 plus Bronze Certified, semi-modular, 5 year warranty
RAM: Crucial Pro 32Gig (2x16) DDR5 5600MTs
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2TB PCIe Gen 4 NVME 2.9c Internal SSD
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower ATX
That's what I have, for now, looking about at about $1500, for these parts. I generally look at Toms Hardware, the Best $1500 PC for gaming.
The only thing I'm not sure of is the motherboard. I have not shopped for parts in many years, so I don't really understand why all the MBs I looked at include WIFI , with the two Cable connections on the back, I have a good router in my house, I get fast wifi anywhere, the PC will have CAt5 cable with the internet, so why do all the mbs want to include wifi??

I don't know I may be missing it but I don't see what PC Partpickers does for me??? It checks compatibility, but I don't see where it suggests anything. Toms's Hardware best builds have PC builds at different price points with suggested parts that are compatible and the best bang for the buck as far as I can see.

I bought all my parts from Amazon, rather than New Egg. So far I am glad I did . Amazon has fast chipping and after checking prices between Amazon and Ness Egg, I found like 5 to 6 of my parts cheaper on Amazon.
So my parts are almost all here save a few left , I want to build it , but I promised my wife I would wait till after Christmas as my Christmas gift.

Back
Top Bottom