Fresh Win 10 Installation Questions

cctaylor88

Solid State Member
I plan on saving all of my files/documents on another device. So I want to perform a like new clean install. Is my best option to "Reset this PC" under the "Recovery" tab of the Control Panel?

On a separate USB I plan on creating Windows 10 installation media, do I have to format the USB in anyway or will the website run me through all of that?

Things I'm worried about:

1. I essentially want to wipe everything and it's been a long time since I've "partitioned" any drives. I have many SSDs. When I am greeted with the "Where do you want to install Windows" screen I will select my hopeful C:drive to install Windows BUT for all of the other drives that show up... I want to wipe these clean as well. Am I to "format" or "delete" or "refresh" these drives?

2. Am I able to utilize and insert the Windows Media USB in 3.0 or must it be 2.0? I remember USB being an issue 4yrs ago when I did this.

3. My biggest worry is all of the drivers that are currently up to date on m y PC. I have no idea where/how to download new drivers etc. What can I do ahead of time to find updated drivers? For example GPU and LAN drivers are my biggest concerns.

4. What is Ninite good for?

5. I feel like I'm forgetting a lot of stuff so please give me any advice at all.

AMD_man

Fully Optimized
1. You can upgrade a current installation or format the drive and install. To do the latter, when prompted, click on "Advanced," delete partitions to make space for Windows, click on "new" and then install on the newly create partition. I'm not going to describe the entire process here, though. Just find a tutorial online if you are unsure of what you are doing.

2. I'm pretty sure you can use both.

3. Windows Update (in Windows 10) can download most important driver automatically.

4. Never heard of it. From what I've read seems pointless and needlessly intrusive.

5. a- Don't do anything until you understand what you are doing.
b- Don't use the Media Creation Tool. Download the .iso from the official site and use Rufus. This will require to spoof your User-Agent if you are on Windows.

pete.i

Daemon Poster
Just download the ISO from the link you were given. Use the Media Creation Tool to put it to a usb stick or a DVD. Let it do it's stuff. don't accept ANY of the Microsoft stuff and, and this this my opinion only, do not set up Windows 10 using a Microsoft account. To avoid doing that set everything up initially with your computer OFF the internet i.e. when it asks you to set up an internet connection choose I do not have internet, bottom left in tiny tiny writing. Once Windows is on THEN set up your internet connection. DO NOT FORGET TO BACK UP YOUR PERSONAL FILES.

Just as an aside there is absolutely no reason whatsoever not to use the media creation tool, Rufus is a nightmare IMO. But as said if you do not know what you are doing do a lot of internet research first. It's all there for you to read up on.

cctaylor88

Solid State Member
Just download the ISO from the link you were given. Use the Media Creation Tool to put it to a usb stick or a DVD. Let it do it's stuff. don't accept ANY of the Microsoft stuff and, and this this my opinion only, do not set up Windows 10 using a Microsoft account. To avoid doing that set everything up initially with your computer OFF the internet i.e. when it asks you to set up an internet connection choose I do not have internet, bottom left in tiny tiny writing. Once Windows is on THEN set up your internet connection. DO NOT FORGET TO BACK UP YOUR PERSONAL FILES.

Just as an aside there is absolutely no reason whatsoever not to use the media creation tool, Rufus is a nightmare IMO. But as said if you do not know what you are doing do a lot of internet research first. It's all there for you to read up on.
Out of curiosity when you state "don't accept ANY of the Microsoft stuff" what exactly do you mean? What stuff?

"do not set up Windows 10 using a Microsoft account" Not exactly sure what is meant here? I'm just going to make a new account profile etc right? I want a clean install