Win 7 sound issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares82

Baseband Member
I seem to be having quite a bit of issues with sound in certain games I have installed on Window 7. It's only two, but they share the same problem. They both play music but they don't play other sound effects, such as voices or gun fire, or really anything else other then music. The games in question are X3: Terran Conflict and Supreme Commander Forged Alliance. I have other games but those are the only two that have issues.

In addition to that, and I don't know if it's related, I have also had issues with playing some AVI movies using the WIndows Media Player installed with Windows 7. It's exactly the same problem as with the games, I have music, but no voices. However, when I play the same AVI with Classic Windows Media Player, they play fine.

I'm hoping some of you may know what is causing these problems and how to solve them. I have had no luck in finding solution to tech support forums for either of the games mentioned. I've reinstalled the games multiple times and that did not fix the issue.

Okay first the games are not even fully compatible with Windows 7. It is not listed on their site. So you will have to contact the game developers and see if they have a update or patch to get it working properly.

The .avi is simple. Get a codec pack. KLite is by far the most popular one.

Ok thanks for the reply. I don't believe there is a patch for either of those games. And browsing the forums does not suggest that it's a wide spread problem. So it seems to be something on my end most likely.

For the AVI issue I do have a codec pack installed, but not K-lite, I have CCCP.

CCCP is very limited compared to KLite. KLite covers just about every codec out there. I have used CCCP in the past and found that KLite has all of those codecs and more available. With KLite installed i have not had a single file that doesnt play properly.

I would still contact the developers on the games. Make a topic in the forum. Maybe someone there has a fix or workaround for you that works for them to get the game working.

At the very least you could try running the games in Compatibility Mode.

Method 1:

Right click on the executable
Select Troubleshoot Compatibility
Let the Wizard decide which is the best method to use
Run the game from the Wizard using the suggested settings

Method 2:

Right click on the executable
Select Properties
Click on the Compatibility Tab
Use the drop down menu to select a different version of Windows (most likely XP with SP2 or SP3)
Check the box for Run as Admin
Click Okay
Run the executable

Try using one of those methods and see if the game will operate properly.

Hmm, just went ahead and uninstalled CCCP and installed K-lite. Seems to have no effect whatsoever on the AVI issue.

Still no sound other then music on Windows Media Player, but plays fine on Media Player Classic.

Maybe I'm set it up wrong somehow?

Do you have a 5.1 speaker system? Do you have the sound setup properly in the Control Panel under Sound?

Uh, no I think mine is a bit older then that. Logitech R-20, which is 2.1 I believe. I just checked the sound options and it was set to 7.1 surround sound. I tried changing it to stereo, but that didn't seem to have any effect. There is no option for 2.1.

Control Panel>Sound>Click on the Speakers>Click Configure. Set it to Stereo. Is this what you did to setup the Stereo? If so this should fix the issue. There isnt a option for 2.1 as that is just considered Stereo. Did you try and test it?

I can tell you that this is your issue. Since it is set to 7.1 the voices are set to come out of the center channel. Which you dont have which is why they are missing for you. Setting it to Stereo should fix this issue for you.

I LOVE YOU!!!!!

Wow that fixed both the AVI video issue and the game issue (at least one of them, the other one I have to reinstall).

Omg I can't believe it was that easy. I never set it to 7.1 though, I guess it was set like that by default, which sucks, I would have thought that Windows would automatically set it up correctly or at least ask me which speakers I have.

But oh well. All is well that ends well. Thank again for the help. Repped!!!

It most likely got set that way due to the sound card installed. It does seem strange that it was set as mine was set to Stereo and i had to manually set it to 5.1 for my surround sound system.

But glad that it is resolved now and it wasnt something totally major.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom