Why...Why...WHY!....

Status
Not open for further replies.

CntdwnToExtn

Fully Optimized
Can't laptops be more maintenance friendly!

Replace a gfx card issue on a PC. Bip, bam, boom.
Replace a PSU. Diddally daddally doo.
Hard Drive swap. Slip, slap, sloop.

But noooooooooo. Take out these 5 screws, now these 3. Take off the keyboard. Take off the keyboard frame. Take off the monitor with these 4 screws. Now unscrew these 1.3535322263234 gahgillion more screws!!!!!!

I just spent over an hour taking one apart to replace the DC connector, and now I have to put it back together. bah! need another beer before this happens.

A 1 dollar part...well I ended up finding it for $15, where HP wanted it for $40 (thanks Mr. Markup!!!!!!!!)...ends up costing how much in labour? Not that I'm charging labour or anything, but if it was at a shop....

ugh....

/rant

I enjoy the challenge, laptops do have there own qwerks but I love them for it almost like the old day's when men hunted down hardware issues on horseback with crossbow.

Do it enough and you can have any laptop done in under an hour for that, though, a Sony Vaio or w/e it was, took me 5 hours to get done due to the amount of different screws, most manufactures stick with two or three sizes, that sony had like 12 different sized screws, and several of each. Needless to say, the customer disliked the bill.

I enjoy the challenge, laptops do have there own qwerks but I love them for it almost like the old day's when men hunted down hardware issues on horseback with crossbow.
Hahaha.
Ya, don't get me wrong. I love the whole challenge thing. It's just one of those things where I think "man, there has to be an easier way".

Do it enough and you can have any laptop done in under an hour for that, though, a Sony Vaio or w/e it was, took me 5 hours to get done due to the amount of different screws, most manufactures stick with two or three sizes, that sony had like 12 different sized screws, and several of each. Needless to say, the customer disliked the bill.

Ya, i'm lookin at 4 different screws, I count 38 sittin' here. I also try to label them when I take them out, so I don't forget where they were. And of course I'm sittin' here at home, doing it for a friend so I'm not on the clock. Might of been under an hour to take this darn thing apart if I was takin' someones money.

Just hope this part works cause it'st he second time I've had to take it apart lol. Once to diagnose and now the second to replace.

Once done, if the breaks are due to the jack being wiggled around, put some liquid electrical tape around it, stiff enough to help prevent if from breaking loose, but, can be peeled off it needed.

Hey I LOVE the whole screw issue, I love a good game of where the **** did this go when it comes to screws.

I admit that lappys should be more like desktops standard layout standard parts etc, but as I said I enjoy the jigsaw puzzle laptops present.

Once done, if the breaks are due to the jack being wiggled around, put some liquid electrical tape around it, stiff enough to help prevent if from breaking loose, but, can be peeled off it needed.

Will keep in mind my good man. ;) Merci.
I'm hoping it just pooped out though and the replacement will work.

Hey I LOVE the whole screw issue, I love a good game of where the **** did this go when it comes to screws.

I admit that lappys should be more like desktops standard layout standard parts etc, but as I said I enjoy the jigsaw puzzle laptops present.

Hahaha, I had a screw left over at work last week from a laptop I took apart...ironically due to a DC connector issue. I was putting in the final frame screws and noticed a single screw...sitting there staring at me. No hole for it. I almost cried. I labeled everything! How could this happen.

Ugh, now I need food before I continue.

Get a Ice tray, I make a sketch of the laptop and say OK this long ****er goes here and put it in the tray, I have had my Thinkpad w700DS apart and back again in a hour (2nd screen replacement) using this method, I might post a vid at some point as it make this job a **** of a lot easyer for people scared of hardware (I know a few admins that suffer this sadly).

You did check with a continuity test to make sure it was just a busted jack, correct? I always do that the first time a laptop comes in with power issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom