HP laptop review, HP 17-by3063st

harveson

Beta member
Hello everybody,
I have an HP laptop (actually I have three of them, but that's another story), and as I surveyed the field of computers last December I had a list of features I wanted.
(HP gave me a chance to review/critique my purchase, but I waited too long to do that).

I ended up getting an HP 17-by3063st laptop.
It has a screen that is 17 inches; one thing I wanted was a DVD-burner in addition to the usual bells and whistles.
Comment: I wanted a 15-inch screen laptop with a DVD-burner but the community of manufacturers don't include that these days. There are fashions in computer manufacture and ten or more years ago a burner was a mainstay. Now the fashion of a solid-state drive is all the rage.

I have a Windows 7 laptop (1.45 GHz, 4GB-RAM), and a Windows 10 (2 GHz, 8 GB RAM) 15"-screen laptop (both with burners) both with AMD processors.
This HP 17-by3063st laptop has two things I haven't used before: a 128-GB SSD in addition to a 1 TB HDD. It also has an Intel I3-10th Gen processor.
It also had original an 8GB RAM card, to which I added another 8GB RAM card. The performance compared to the other laptops is FAST.
Is that the boosted RAM or the I-3 processor?
As I looked at the computer last January and assessed the specs and performance, I looked at the 128-GB SSD.
It is a TLC, three-layer cell. The Operating System and recovery files are loaded there - bad choice?
All the commentary on TLC is that they fail after a few years, or few months on high-use machines.

I gave a less-than-flattering critique on an HP forum site of the "Entry-level components" included on the machine. They were not amused (i.e., no further response).
A recommendation for a replacement for the 128GB SSD was one unsuitable for my computer (the choice of "B" versus "M" and "B+M" not mentioned).
The complaint (of others) of a 128GB drive was that after the OS there was NO ROOM for applications to be installed.
There is a 'tech-paradigm' that once a drive is more than 40% full, you look for a replacement; the drive was 45% full.
I did get a 256GB SSD, installed the OS and drive files from backup, and it's running fine.
The 128GB TLC drive was actually running fine; using POWERSHELL it showed no wear after weeks of use. How long would it take with my use?

The keyboard is "natural silver" which is nearly unusable in dim light - you need a lamp on the laptop to see the keys. Other laptops have black keys with white letters.
More visible.
Was it worth it?
Yes. I installed Visual Studio 6 on it, as I write, build and produce software that is still in use. I'm not a fan of the .NET framework supported programming suites.
C, C++ and VB can still do quite alot.
Was it the best I could have gotten; ... probably.
HP has their top of line, middling and low-end computers.
Intel I3 processors are getting old, the components and features are older, so I got a low-end better than average machine - that works well for me.
I don't run high-end games (UFO Alien Invasion based on a Quake-2 engine from Sourceforge.net) or a company/corporation/internet-server.
I got a holiday-deal with a reduction in price and low-end entry-level quality - still very good.

It's a battle out there for manufacturers and many computers, laptops, distributed processing from computers, watches, appliances and Smartphones.
Has the form factor gotten played out?
For me the laptop was a godsend when I got one (Pentium 133) in 1999. Time may pass me by but it's still a good essential for home or business.

HP 17-by3063st laptop
Display
17.3" · 1600 x 900p
Processor
Dual Core 1.2 GHz Intel Core i3
Graphics
Intel UHD Graphics
Storage
1TB HDD, 128GB SSD
RAM
8GB DDR4 SDRAM 2.67 GHz
Audio