Which Dual-Band Router is best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fairfieldfalconsfan

In Runtime
Well my dad is probably going to get a tablet around/on Black Friday and that means we need to get Wi-Fi. Yay! We currently just have the modem plugged right into the PC. We are going to relocate the modem to upstairs and put the router there and run a cable down to the PC.

I am planning to get a Dual-Band router(unless you guys don't recommend them) and this is the main one I was thinking about getting: Amazon: NETGEAR N600 Wireless Dual Band Router WNDR3400. We really want the router to have a switch to turn the Wi-Fi on and off.

We want one that has pretty good range because we are going to try to reach my grandma's house with the Wi-Fi. We are putting it in about the closest place in our house to her house. In between the router and her house will be 1 window, 2/3 rows of trees and then the wall at her house. We are hoping to not have to get a repeater but we will if we have to. The speed at her house doesn't have to be great just enough speed to do basic browsing.

To sum up the above we need a Dual-Band router and is this the best one for the price: Amazon: NETGEAR N600 Wireless Dual Band Router WNDR3400. We don't want to spend over $100 and prefer Amazon and Newegg.

Thanks in Advance!

From what I've read the WNDR3400 is not bad aside from the lack of gigabit ports, which would be useful for multiple computers and transferring large files.

Another alternative that I can suggest is the Linksys E2000. It's also dual band but you're only able to select either 2.4GHz or 5, not both at the same time. But it has gigabit ethernet ports and is also compatible with DD-WRT if you're into that sort of thing.

Okay thanks for the help. We ended up getting the Netgear one yesterday because I had a 20% off coupon that expired on Sunday for Staples and they had it for the same price as Amazon so we got it for $60. I may want to get a pci-e adapter so if there are any dual-band ones that you recommend let me know. Or even one that is just a 5 Ghz would work maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom